Determine the possible effects on the water level

In summary, the water level (L) will either rise (R), fall (F), or remain unchanged (U) when a new solid sphere is placed in a large bowl containing water, depending on the given information. If the new sphere has a density equal to the original sphere (ρ = ρ0) and a radius smaller than the original (R < R0), the water level will fall (F). If the new sphere has a mass equal to the original (M = M0) and a density greater than the original (ρ > ρ0), the water level will either fall (F) or remain unchanged (U). If the new sphere has a mass equal to the original (M = M0) and a
duhduhduh
A small solid sphere of mass M0, of radius R0, and of uniform density ρ0 is placed in a large bowl containing water. It floats and the level of the water in the dish is L. Given the information below, determine the possible effects on the water level L, (R-Rises, F-Falls, U-Unchanged), when that sphere is replaced by a new solid sphere of uniform density.
Read it to me
The new sphere has density ρ = ρ0 and radius R < R0
The new sphere has mass M = M0 and density ρ > ρ0
The new sphere has mass M = M0 and radius R > R0
The new sphere has radius R > R0 and density ρ < ρ0
The new sphere has radius R = R0 and density ρ < ρ0
The new sphere has density ρ = ρ0 and mass M > M0

My answers:

F
F or U
R or U (this is the one I think may be incorrect...may be just U)
R or F or U
F
R

I believe the key is whether the mass is increasing (water level will rise) or decreasing (water level will fall). I'm unclear as to which of my answers is wrong.

Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the third case is the exact oposite of the second case...

"The new sphere has mass M = M0 and density ρ > ρ0"... implies R < R0
"The new sphere has mass M = M0 and radius R > R0... implies ρ < ρ0

Yep, that was my line of thinking as well...good to hear. Any idea which is/are incorrect?

Perhaps take the examples to extreem and see what happens. For example a very very small dense ball would sink and not raise the water level very much.

I think the fourth one is easy...

"The new sphere has radius R > R0 and density ρ < ρ0"

Sounds like a party balloon. That would have a large radius and low density. what happens to the water level when you float a balloon on it.

I think I have #3 wrong. I believe it is just U.

Reasoning: If mass is the same and radius is increasing, density is decreasing. If the density were to decrease only a little tiny bit, the water level would obviously not change. If the density were to decrease as much as possible, it would be a point and the water level would still not change. Is this about right?

duhduhduh said:
I think I have #3 wrong. I believe it is just U.

Reasoning: If mass is the same and radius is increasing, density is decreasing. If the density were to decrease only a little tiny bit, the water level would obviously not change. If the density were to decrease as much as possible, it would be a point and the water level would still not change. Is this about right?

As the sphere gets bigger, the density decreases.
As the density decreases, the sphere gets bigger.

It's not going to end up point-like. It's going to end up very big. Like inflating a party
balloon.

As long as we neglect atmospheric buoyancy and as long as the enlarged sphere fits in the container, it will still float and will still displace a quantity of water equal to its mass. So yes, the answer I get is "U".

As long as the sphere floats, no matter what happen to R and P, the volume of water displaced is always = M. If the sphere sinks, only R matters. A sphere of size R can never displace more than an R volume of water.

jbriggs444 said:
As the sphere gets bigger, the density decreases.
As the density decreases, the sphere gets bigger.

It's not going to end up point-like. It's going to end up very big. Like inflating a party
balloon.

As long as we neglect atmospheric buoyancy and as long as the enlarged sphere fits in the container, it will still float and will still displace a quantity of water equal to its mass. So yes, the answer I get is "U".

The mass of water displaced wiil be the same but that's not what the question asks. It asks about the water "level". That's not so easy to visualise. A larger object on the surface means less space around the object. Imagine if the ball had a diameter only slightly less than that of the bowl. Say 1mm less. The water level would have to rise further to displace the same volume of water or would it?

Perhaps the question is too badly specified to answer? Does it mean the level wrt the object or the bowl? Should we assume the bowl is very large?

Chronos said:
As long as the sphere http://li4ka.info/ , no matter what happen to R and P, the volume of water displaced is always = M. If the sphere sinks, only R matters. A sphere of size R can never displace more than an R volume of water.

ok. thanks. fogot about volume of water dosent change...

Last edited by a moderator:
CWatters said:
The mass of water displaced wiil be the same but that's not what the question asks. It asks about the water "level". That's not so easy to visualise. A larger object on the surface means less space around the object. Imagine if the ball had a diameter only slightly less than that of the bowl. Say 1mm less. The water level would have to rise further to displace the same volume of water or would it?

Perhaps the question is too badly specified to answer? Does it mean the level wrt the object or the bowl? Should we assume the bowl is very large?

It's like the situation for an enormous ship floating in a 'small' dry dock - almost fitting exactly. If you lifted the ship out with a crane, the water level would drop to nearly zero. Same amount of water displaced as when the ship is on the sea but then the water level wouldn't change detectably

Related to Determine the possible effects on the water level

1. How does temperature affect water levels?

The temperature of water can affect its density, which in turn can impact the water level. When water is heated, it expands and becomes less dense, causing it to take up more space and result in a higher water level. Conversely, when water is cooled, it contracts and becomes more dense, leading to a lower water level.

2. Does precipitation affect water levels?

Yes, precipitation can have a significant impact on water levels. When there is heavy rainfall, the water level in a body of water can rise due to the addition of water. Conversely, in times of drought or lack of precipitation, the water level can decrease as water evaporates or is used up by plants and animals.

3. How do tides affect water levels?

Tides are caused by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun on the Earth's oceans. As the moon and sun's positions change in relation to the Earth, the water levels in oceans and other bodies of water can rise and fall. This is known as the tidal cycle and can have a significant impact on water levels in coastal areas.

4. Can human activity impact water levels?

Yes, human activities such as damming, dredging, and diverting water can all affect water levels. Building dams can create reservoirs that can affect the natural flow and level of a river or lake. Dredging can deepen waterways, allowing for greater flow and potentially altering water levels. Diverting water for irrigation or other purposes can also impact water levels in a particular area.

5. How does climate change affect water levels?

Climate change can have a significant impact on water levels, particularly in terms of sea level rise. As global temperatures continue to increase, glaciers and polar ice caps are melting at an accelerated rate, leading to a rise in sea levels. This can have a major impact on coastal areas and low-lying regions, potentially causing flooding and other consequences.