Determine the points where the net magnetic field is zero

In summary: There is no y component in the world of three dimensions.Yes, but what about my other point? There is a y component in the world of three dimensions.
jisbon
Homework Statement
A long straight wire lying along x axis carries current I in positive x direction.
Another long straight wire lying along y axis carries current I/3 in positive y direction.
Find points where net magnetic field is zero.
Relevant Equations
-
Unsure about this, but here is my attempt:

B from the first wire: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi r} ##

B from the second wire: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi r} ##

Let the point be (x,y)

Can I state that: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi y}+\dfrac {\mu _{i}\left( I/3\right) }{2\pi x}=0##

Hence the magnetic field is zero whenever x= -1/3y?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
jisbon said:
Homework Statement:: A long straight wire lying along x-axis carries current I in positive x direction.
Another long straight wire lying along y-axis carries current I/3 in positive y direction.
Find points where net magnetic field is zero.
Relevant Equations:: -

Unsure about this, but here is my attempt:

B from the first wire: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi r} ##

B from the second wire: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi r} ##

Let the point be (x,y)

Can I state that: ##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi y}+\dfrac {\mu _{i}\left( I/3\right) }{2\pi x}=0##

Hence the magnetic field is zero whenever x= -1/3y?

Thanks
The magnetic field is a vector. You need the vector sum to be zero.

haruspex said:
The magnetic field is a vector. You need the vector sum to be zero.
So for example in the wire on y axis, can't I assume it will only affect the x direction as the y direction is simply canceled out?

jisbon said:
So for example in the wire on y axis, can't I assume it will only affect the x direction as the y direction is simply canceled out?
Certainly the field due to that wire nowhere has a y component. What does that leave?

haruspex said:
Certainly the field due to that wire nowhere has a y component. What does that leave?
So that leaves a x component, while the wire at the x-axis only leaves the y component, hence the equation I put in my thread whereby:
##\dfrac {\mu _{0}I}{2\pi y}+\dfrac {\mu _{i}\left( I/3\right) }{2\pi x}=0##

jisbon said:
So that leaves a x component
I do not read the question as restricted to a plane.
Besides, an x component cannot cancel a y component.

haruspex said:
I do not read the question as restricted to a plane.
Besides, an x component cannot cancel a y component.
So the x component must be equals to 0 too? since the point I am trying to find has no magnetic field

jisbon said:
So the x component must be equals to 0 too? since the point I am trying to find has no magnetic field
Yes, but but what about my other point? The Newtonian world has three dimensions.

Related to Determine the points where the net magnetic field is zero

1. What is the net magnetic field?

The net magnetic field is the sum of all magnetic fields present in a given region or space.

2. How is the net magnetic field determined?

The net magnetic field is determined by adding the vector components of each individual magnetic field present in the region.

3. Why is it important to determine the points where the net magnetic field is zero?

Knowing the points where the net magnetic field is zero can help in understanding the behavior of magnetic fields and their effects on objects in that region.

4. What factors can affect the net magnetic field?

The net magnetic field can be affected by the strength and direction of individual magnetic fields, as well as the distance between them.

5. How can the points where the net magnetic field is zero be calculated?

The points where the net magnetic field is zero can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as the Biot-Savart law or the principle of superposition.