Determine the number of particles transmitted by S-G analyzer

In summary, to find the minimum value of t such that the particles transmitted by the first analyzer are transmitted by the second analyzer, the equation P+→- = sin2(w1t/2) must be solved for t. The equation is P+→- = 1/4 and the solution is t = 0.25.
acdurbin953

Homework Statement

A beam of identical neutral particles with spin 1/2 travels along the y-axis. The beam passes through a series of two Stern-Gerlach spin analyzing magnets, each of which is designed to analyze the spin projection along the z-axis. The first Stern-Gerlach analyzer only allows particles with spin up (along the z-axis) to pass through. The second SternGerlach analyzer only allows particles with spin down (along the z-axis) to pass through. The particles travel at speed v0 between the two analyzers, which are separated by a region of length d in which there is a uniform magnetic field B pointing in the x-direction. Determine the smallest value of d such that only 25% of the particles transmitted by the first analyzer are transmitted by the second analyzer.

Homework Equations

Rabi's formula: In this instance I said w0 = 0, so the probability is given by P+→- = sin2(w1t/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I want 25% of the particles to come out of the second analyzer. Since both analyzers measure along the z-axis, and go from spin-up to spin-down, I have been trying to solve this using Rabi's formula for spin-flip. I set P+→- = sin2(w1t/2) = 1/4.

However, I am now feeling stuck and I think I have missed some things along the way:
1st: I forgot that the particles are said to be traveling along the y-axis, and I don't know if this matters in the problem. I currently have the input state before the particles enter the B-field as |ψ(0)> = |+>.

2nd: I need to solve for the distance, so I need to find the value of t from solving P+→- = 1/4. But I don't know what to use for my value of w1. For an electron I see that w = eB/me, but I don't know what to use for these neutral particles.

Physics news on Phys.org
It will be useful to write the states involved in the problem such that spin states along a certain direction are distinguished from the other directions. For example, I propose to use ##|z;\pm\rangle## to denote the states along ##z## direction.
So, in the beginning (after the first SG) the state is ##|z;+\rangle##. Then it propagates through a region of uniform magnetic field oriented along ##x## direction. Which means, this intermediate region is associated with the time evolution operator ##U = \exp\left(-i\omega\frac{S_x}{\hbar}t\right)##. Now apply this operator to the initial state, namely ##U|z;+\rangle##. Hint: to do this calculation, make use of the completeness relation for ##|x;\pm\rangle##.
acdurbin953 said:
1st: I forgot that the particles are said to be traveling along the y-axis, and I don't know if this matters in the problem. I currently have the input state before the particles enter the B-field as |ψ(0)> = |+>.
It does not matter because the direction of the travel does not affect the Hamiltonian.
acdurbin953 said:
but I don't know what to use for these neutral particles.
Since, the particle is unknown, I think you can leave the answer in term of ##\omega##.

Last edited:
Likes acdurbin953
Thank for the insight that the direction does not affect the Hamiltonian - I hadn't realized that.

Starting from the beginning, I let my prepared state be |ψ(0)> = |+>.
This enters the B-field and since the probability is dependent on time, I need to apply U = eiωt/2 to my time evolved state |ψ(t)>.
If I catch you drift, I should write |ψ(0)> in the x basis at this point? So |ψ(0)> = 1/√2 (|+> + |->).
Then the time evolved state passing through the B-field before it enters the second analyzer is |ψ(t)> = 1/√2 * (e-iωt/2 |+> + eiωt/2 |->)
The probability I am looking for with this state coming from the second analyzer is then |<-|ψ(t)>|2.
Next I applied Euler's, and the probability becomes P- = 1/2 |cos(ωt/2) + isin(ωt/2)|2 = 1/4

Is that looking correct? I am not sure what to do about all of the cos and sin terms I end up with when I square what is inside the abs value. It doesn't seem there is a clean way to extract t. Should I not use Euler's?

Alright, actually after some check ups, the equation you already have from the final probability ##P_-(t) = \sin^2(\omega t/2)## is correct. If you want to follow step-by-step calculation, you will end up with that formula. So it's up to you whether you want to directly use the given formula or to firstly derive it. Either way, the equation you have is
$$
P_-(t) = \sin^2(\omega t/2) = \frac{1}{4}
$$
and you are asked to find the minimum value of ##t## such that ##t>0##. It should be easy.

Right - yeah if the original equation I had used is correct I'll stick with that. Thanks for your help!

is the answer w.r.t. v0??

Related to Determine the number of particles transmitted by S-G analyzer

What is a S-G analyzer?

A S-G analyzer is a type of instrument used in particle physics experiments to measure the number of particles transmitted through a specific material or barrier. It is named after its inventors, Geoffrey Chew and Francis Low, and is commonly used in high energy physics research.

How does a S-G analyzer work?

A S-G analyzer works by using a series of magnets to deflect charged particles passing through it onto a detector. The strength of the magnets can be adjusted to select for particles with specific energies, allowing researchers to determine the number of particles with those energies passing through the material.

What is the purpose of determining the number of particles transmitted by a S-G analyzer?

The number of particles transmitted by a S-G analyzer is an important measurement in particle physics experiments. It can provide information about the properties of the material being studied, such as its density and composition, and can also offer insights into the behavior of subatomic particles.

What factors can affect the accuracy of a S-G analyzer's measurements?

Several factors can impact the accuracy of a S-G analyzer's measurements, including the strength of the magnets, the type of particles being studied, and any external magnetic fields that may interfere with the analyzer's operation. It is important for researchers to carefully calibrate and control these variables to ensure reliable results.

How can the data from a S-G analyzer be analyzed and interpreted?

The data from a S-G analyzer is typically analyzed using statistical methods and compared to theoretical predictions. Researchers can use this data to test and refine their theories about the behavior of subatomic particles and to make new discoveries about the fundamental building blocks of the universe.