Determine the most probable radius for a 2s orbital (Hydrogen atom)

In summary, to determine the most probable radius for a 2s orbital (Hydrogen atom), the wavefunction for a 2s orbital must be squared and multiplied by the spherical element of volume. Setting the derivative of the probability density equal to zero will yield a cubic polynomial, which can be solved to find the roots and determine the most probable radius.
science_1999

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Wavefunction for a 2s orbital:

1/(4√2pi*a^(3⁄2) ) (2-r⁄a) e^((-r)⁄(2a)) where, a=bohr radius

The Attempt at a Solution

First step:
find the probability density by squaring the wavefunction and multiplying but the spherical element of Volume

Second step:
Set the derivative of the probability density equal to zero to solve for where the slope of the plotted function is equal to zero

Physics news on Phys.org
science_1999 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Wavefunction for a 2s orbital:

1/(4√2pi*a^(3⁄2) ) (2-r⁄a) e^((-r)⁄(2a)) where, a=bohr radius

The Attempt at a Solution

First step:
find the probability density by squaring the wavefunction and multiplying but the spherical element of Volume

Second step:
Set the derivative of the probability density equal to zero to solve for where the slope of the plotted function is equal to zero

So you know all the steps, you simply have to go ahead!

Are you stuck on something?

i am working on the same problem, and i am stuck on one particular part, when i take the derivative and set it equal to zero i end up with a cubic polynomial, like

(r/a)^3 - 6(r/a)^2 + 8r/a - 4 =0

not sure it this is correct, and if it is then do i need to use a graphing program to calculate the min and max points (roots) or is there an easier way?

thanks in advance for any help...

Stuck on this problem also!

I get to a stage where I get a massive cubic equation...I'm assuming I've gone wrong somewhere...

Any help? Or any online resources where the problem is worked through...?

think i ended up solving it sometime last year.. think the equation factors to something like: (x-4)*(x-2)*(x-2)=0 or something like that.. roots are then 4 & 2.. can't remember exactly but hope this points you in the right direction... oh x=r/a) of course..

Related to Determine the most probable radius for a 2s orbital (Hydrogen atom)

1. What is an orbital in chemistry?

An orbital is a region of space around the nucleus of an atom where there is a high probability of finding an electron.

2. How is the most probable radius for a 2s orbital determined?

The most probable radius for a 2s orbital is determined by using mathematical equations and experimental data to calculate the distance at which the electron is most likely to be found around the nucleus of a hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the 2s orbital in the hydrogen atom?

The 2s orbital is significant because it is the first excited state for the hydrogen atom, meaning that the electron in this orbital has absorbed energy and moved to a higher energy level. It also has a spherical shape and a higher energy than the 1s orbital.

4. How does the most probable radius for a 2s orbital compare to other orbitals?

The most probable radius for a 2s orbital is larger than the 1s orbital, but smaller than the 3s orbital. This is because the 2s orbital has a higher energy and the electron is more likely to be found further from the nucleus.

5. Can the most probable radius for a 2s orbital change?

Yes, the most probable radius for a 2s orbital can change depending on the energy level of the electron and the presence of other atoms or molecules that may affect its movement. This is why the concept of orbitals is based on probability rather than a fixed location.