Determine the Minimum Wattage Rating for Resistors

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about finding the minimum wattage rating for resistors in a circuit. The participants also discuss how to choose the wattage rating in the real world, where only certain wattage options are available for purchase.
Lord Dark
Minimum wattage rating ??

Homework Statement

Hi everyone ,,

got the following question

attachment.php?attachmentid=24157&stc=1&d=1267874538.png

a. Find the total resistance, current and unknown voltage drops
b. Verify KVL around closed loop
c. Find the power dissipated by each resistor and note whether the power delivered is equal to the dissipated
d. If the resistors available with wattage rating of ½ , 1 and 2 W, what is the minimum wattage rating can be used for each resistance.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved them all except d ,, I didn't understand what question d actually means ...
can someone explain and answer for me for one resistor so I can get the others please :)

thanks in advance ,,

Attachments

• Hell.png
    Hell.png
    11 KB · Views: 1,427
Physics news on Phys.org
Lord Dark said:
d. If the resistors available with wattage rating of ½ , 1 and 2 W, what is the minimum wattage rating can be used for each resistance.

I've solved them all except d ,, I didn't understand what question d actually means ...
can someone explain and answer for me for one resistor so I can get the others please :)

thanks in advance ,,

Hi Lord Dark! :wink:

I think it means that the resistor burns out if it carries more than the rated wattage, so calculate the watts through each resistor and choose the next rate up. :smile:

Hi tiny-tim :biggrin:

I think it means that the resistor burns out if it carries more than the rated wattage, so calculate the watts through each resistor and choose the next rate up.

by saying choose the next rate up meaning ?? :rolleyes:

1.calculate the watts in the resistor then choose the watts of the next one ?

example : r1=0.24 w & r2=0.04 w ,, choose the minimum rate for r1 is 0.04??

or

2.just get their power & choose the higher one ?

example : r1=0.24 w so minimum wattage = 0.5 ,, r2=0.04 w MW = 0.5 too ??
(then all of them the minimum will be 0.5 w because they all are less then 0.5)

and BTW why is the question saying (the resistors available with wattage rating of 0.5,1 and 2 W) the maximum wattage I got is in resistor 1 which is 0.24 w .. so why is it saying 2 w and 1 w ??

Lord Dark said:
2.just get their power & choose the higher one ?

example : r1=0.24 w so minimum wattage = 0.5 ,, r2=0.04 w MW = 0.5 too ??
(then all of them the minimum will be 0.5 w because they all are less then 0.5)

and BTW why is the question saying (the resistors available with wattage rating of 0.5,1 and 2 W) the maximum wattage I got is in resistor 1 which is 0.24 w .. so why is it saying 2 w and 1 w ??

Hi Lord Dark! :smile:

I think it's because this isn't a maths world, in which you can go into a store and but a 0.24W resistor …

in the real world, you can only buy 0.5W 1W 2W etc …

in this case you buy all 0.5W :wink:

ha ha :biggrin: ,, thanks tiny-tim - again - ,, still didn't work in a lab ~.~

Related to Determine the Minimum Wattage Rating for Resistors

What is the minimum wattage rating for a device?

The minimum wattage rating for a device refers to the lowest amount of power that the device requires to function properly. It is important to ensure that a device is connected to a power source that can provide at least the minimum wattage rating to prevent damage to the device.

How is the minimum wattage rating determined?

The minimum wattage rating for a device is determined by the manufacturer through testing and calculations. It takes into account the power requirements of the individual components and the overall power consumption of the device.

Can I use a power source with a higher wattage rating than the device's minimum requirement?

Yes, you can use a power source with a higher wattage rating than the device's minimum requirement. However, using a power source with significantly higher wattage than necessary may result in wasted energy and potentially increase the risk of electrical hazards.

What happens if I use a power source with a lower wattage rating than the device's minimum requirement?

If you use a power source with a lower wattage rating, the device may not receive enough power to function properly. This can lead to malfunctions or damage to the device. It is important to always use a power source with at least the minimum wattage rating for the device.

Do all devices have a minimum wattage rating?

Not all devices have a minimum wattage rating. Some devices may have a recommended wattage or power consumption, but it is not necessarily a minimum requirement. It is important to check the manufacturer's specifications for each device to determine its power requirements.