Determine the max height for which there is no slipping

In summary, the problem involves determining the maximum value of h for which there is no slipping between two wooden boards under a tensile load P, with a rectangular steel yoke preventing slippage. The coefficients of static friction between the yoke and board surfaces and between the boards are given as 0.25. For P = 720 N, the corresponding normal force N between the two boards must be determined if motion impends at all surfaces. The yoke functions by creating friction between the metal and wood surfaces, preventing slippage when pulled in one direction, but allowing motion when pulled in the opposite direction. By analyzing the forces at the points where the yoke meets the wood, a relationship can be found between the normal force
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

The rectangular steel yoke is used to prevent slippage between the two boards under tensile loads P. If the coefficients of static friction between the yoke and the board surfaces and between the boards are all 0.25, determine the maximum value of h for which there is no slipping. For P = 720 N, determine the corresponding normal force N between the two boards if motion impends at all surfaces.

I have attached an image of the problem

Homework Equations

ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to start. I tried drawing a free body diagram of the two blocks of wood with the P forces and the friction forces as well as the normal force. But other than that I'm not sure how to interpret the yoke and how it's height factors in.

Help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• statics hwk 22 6.031.png
    statics hwk 22 6.031.png
    23 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
Northbysouth said:

Homework Statement

The rectangular steel yoke is used to prevent slippage between the two boards under tensile loads P. If the coefficients of static friction between the yoke and the board surfaces and between the boards are all 0.25, determine the maximum value of h for which there is no slipping. For P = 720 N, determine the corresponding normal force N between the two boards if motion impends at all surfaces.

I have attached an image of the problem

Homework Equations

ƩFx=0
ƩFy=0

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm honestly not sure where to start. I tried drawing a free body diagram of the two blocks of wood with the P forces and the friction forces as well as the normal force. But other than that I'm not sure how to interpret the yoke and how it's height factors in.

Help would be greatly appreciated.
I'll try to explain the functionality of the yoke thing. I suppose it's important to know what it is supposed to do.

If you try to slide the two pieces of wood together, such each respective direction moves opposite to the direction that the corresponding side of the yoke is tilted, the wooden boards slide together with ease (just as if there if the metal yoke is not touching the wood at all). On the other hand, if you reverse the direction of force, the yoke grabs the pieces of wood, purely by friction, and no motion is possible. The stronger the pulling force, the stronger it grabs on. The friction will keep the wooden boards from being pulled apart no matter how strong the pulling force. If the pulling force increases, the frictional force increases, and the normal force to increase correspondingly.

There's some beauty in simplicity with this thing. It's nothing more than a metal rectangle, yet it's functionality is quite sophisticated.

Assuming the conditions are correct, the yoke will hold the blocks of wood together no matter how hard you pull. With the behavior of h being independent the applied force, you should expect that certain variables ultimately vanish/cancel when equations are simplified. But don't take my word for it. Give it a try! :smile:

It's good that you made a block diagram. Make sure to label all the forces, particularly the frictional forces. You might want to keep them separate from each other for now.

Start by analyzing one of the points on the yoke where it meets the wood. You should have three forces at that location; the normal force, the force of friction between the metal and the wood, and the tension on the yoke. Try to find a relationship between them.

Can you then relate the result to h and the 145 mm depth of the wood blocks?

Last edited:

Related to Determine the max height for which there is no slipping

1. What does it mean to have no slipping at maximum height?

Having no slipping at maximum height means that the object is able to maintain its position without sliding or falling due to gravity or other external forces.

2. How is the maximum height for no slipping determined?

The maximum height for no slipping is determined by considering the forces acting on the object and using equations of motion to calculate the height at which the forces are balanced and there is no slipping.

3. What factors affect the maximum height for no slipping?

The maximum height for no slipping can be affected by the mass and shape of the object, the surface it is on, and the magnitude and direction of external forces such as gravity and friction.

4. Can the maximum height for no slipping be greater than the initial height?

Yes, the maximum height for no slipping can be greater than the initial height if the external forces are strong enough to overcome the force of gravity and prevent the object from slipping.

5. How is the concept of no slipping important in real-world applications?

The concept of no slipping is important in various real-world scenarios, such as designing roller coasters, analyzing the stability of structures, and determining the maximum height for which a ladder or ramp can be safely used without slipping.