Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the magnetic field midway between points M and N when three long parallel wires are placed 3.5 cm apart in an equilateral triangle formation. The current in each wire is 8.00 A, but its direction in wire M is opposite to that in wires N and P. The solution involves rotating the system and using the 30-60-90 triangle postulate and the magnetic field formula to find the values for the magnetic field at points M and P, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the total magnetic field at the midpoint.
NasuSama

Homework Statement

Three long parallel wires are 3.5 cm from one another. (Looking along them, they are at three corners of an equilateral triangle.) The current in each wire is 8.00 A, but its direction in wire M is opposite to that in wires N and P. Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field midway between points M and N.

Homework Equations

##B = \dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi r}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I compute the field due points M and N, which is

##B_{MN} = \dfrac{2\mu_0 I}{\pi d}##

Then, the field due point P is

##B_P = \dfrac{mu_0 I}{\pi d\sqrt{3}}##

Working component wise, I obtain:

##B_x = B_{MN}\cos(30) + B_P\cos(60) = \dfrac{7}{2\sqrt{3}}\dfrac{\mu_0 I}{\pi d}##
##B_y = -B_{MN}\sin(30) + B_P\sin(60) = -\dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi d}##

So we have

##B = \sqrt{(B_x)^2 + (B_y)^2} \approx 9.52 \times 10^{-5}##

But the answer is wrong.

Attachments

• 28n52.jpg
    28n52.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 1,049
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, NasuSama.

Check to see if you got the correct distance for ##r## for wire ##P##. [Nevermind, I think you got it right!]

It looks to me that some of your trig functions are incorrect in finding the x and y components.

You might consider rotating the whole system so that M and N are at the base of the triangle.

I am not sure if rotating the system works.

Other than that, I edit my trig functions since I found they are incorrect by typos.

If you don't want to reorient the system, then let your x-axis pass through wires M and N and the y-axis pass through P and the midpoint of the line segment MN.

TSny said:
I got it!

(1) Turn the system 120##^{\circ}## counterclockwise to get the diagram that looks like the one I uploaded.

(2) Using the 30-60-90 triangle postulate and the magnetic field formula, we get

##B_{MN} = 2B_{M}##
##= 2\dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi \left(\frac{d}{2} \right)} = \dfrac{2\mu_0 I}{\pi d}##

##B_{P} = \dfrac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi \left(\frac{d\sqrt{3}}{2} \right)} = \dfrac{\mu_0 I}{\pi\sqrt{3}d}##

(3) Thus, by the Pythagorean Theorem, we have

##\sqrt{(B_{MN})^2 + (B_{P})^2} \approx 1.90 \times 10^{-4}##

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    16.2 KB · Views: 1,524
Last edited:
Looks good!

Related to Determine the magnitude of the magnetic field.

1. What is meant by the term "magnetic field magnitude"?

The magnetic field magnitude refers to the strength or intensity of a magnetic field. It is a measure of the force exerted by the magnetic field on a charged particle or a magnet placed in the field.

2. How is the magnetic field magnitude measured?

The magnetic field magnitude is typically measured using a device called a magnetometer. This can be a handheld instrument or a more sophisticated piece of laboratory equipment. Magnetometers measure the strength of the magnetic field in units of Tesla (T) or Gauss (G).

3. What factors affect the magnitude of a magnetic field?

The magnitude of a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnet or the electric current producing the field, as well as the distance from the source of the field. The shape and material of the objects in the field can also influence the strength of the magnetic field.

4. How does the magnitude of the magnetic field vary in different locations?

The magnitude of the magnetic field can vary greatly depending on the location. It is typically stronger near the source of the field, such as a magnet or an electric current, and weaker as you move further away. Additionally, the Earth's magnetic field varies in strength depending on the location on the planet.

5. What are some real-world applications of measuring the magnitude of a magnetic field?

Magnetic field magnitude is important in a variety of fields, including physics, geology, and engineering. It is used to study the properties of materials, map the Earth's magnetic field, and design and test electromagnetic devices such as motors and generators. Magnetic fields are also crucial in medical imaging techniques like MRI.