Determine the lattice parameter

In summary, to find the lattice parameter and coordinates of the point x in the reciprocal lattice, you can use the formula for the reciprocal lattice vectors and the fact that the volume of the reciprocal space is equal to the original space multiplied by a factor of (4π/a). This gives the lattice parameter a* = 4π/a and the coordinates of the point x can be found using the reciprocal lattice vectors formula with the calculated values of a*, b*, and c*.
Helpless guy

Homework Statement

Given this image http://postimg.org/image/m9dyiqwy3/ find the lattice parametre of the reciprocal lattice and the coordinates of the point x.

Homework Equations

a*[/B]=2π(b×c)/(ab×c)
b*=2π(c×a)/(bc×a)
c*=2π(a×b)/(c⋅a×b)
Which are the vectors of the reciprocal lattice
a is the lattice parametre
3. The Attempt at a Solution

Since I am studyng a fcc structure, my vectors a,b,c are a=(a/2)(j+k), b=(a/2)(i+k), c=(a/2)(i+j)
and the reciprocal's are a*=(-i+ j+ k), b*=(i -j + k), c*=(i+ j -k).
This is as far as I can get by myself: My teacher showed that the volume of te reciprocal space is the same as the original, but multiplied by a factor of (4π/a). I know there has to be something which will give me the key to find a*; but I can`t find it myself.

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems that you are on the right track in your attempt at finding the lattice parameter and coordinates of the point x in the reciprocal lattice. As you mentioned, the volume of the reciprocal space is equal to the original space multiplied by a factor of (4π/a). This means that the lattice parameter a* can be found by dividing 4π by the lattice parameter a. Therefore, the lattice parameter a* = 4π/a.

To find the coordinates of the point x, you can use the formula for the vectors of the reciprocal lattice that you have mentioned in your post. You will need to substitute the values of a*, b*, and c* that you have calculated using the formula for the reciprocal lattice vectors. This will give you the coordinates of the point x in terms of the lattice parameter a.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Scientist

Related to Determine the lattice parameter

1. What is a lattice parameter?

A lattice parameter is a measure of the distance between the atoms or particles in a crystal or solid material. It is an important factor in understanding the physical and chemical properties of a material.

2. How is the lattice parameter determined?

The lattice parameter can be determined using various techniques such as X-ray diffraction, electron diffraction, and neutron diffraction. These techniques involve analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by a crystal to calculate the distance between the atoms.

3. Why is the lattice parameter important?

The lattice parameter is important because it affects the overall structure and properties of a material. It can influence properties such as density, melting point, and mechanical strength. Additionally, changes in the lattice parameter can reveal information about the composition and purity of a material.

4. What factors can affect the lattice parameter?

The lattice parameter can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. It can also be influenced by the crystal structure and bonding between atoms in a material.

5. How can the lattice parameter be used in research?

The lattice parameter is a key parameter in materials science and is often used in research to study the structure and properties of materials. It can also be used to identify and characterize different crystal structures and to study the effects of external factors on a material's structure.