Determine the latent heat of an unknown substance

In summary, the problem involves determining the latent heat of an unknown substance X in kcal/g based on the given information: 3.0g of boiling liquid X are completely vaporized in 1.5 hours by an energy source of 10kcal/hr. To solve this, the equation Q=cmdelta T can be used, where Q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the substance, c is the specific heat capacity, and delta T is the change in temperature. The specific heat capacity of the substance can be determined using the given energy source and time period, and then delta T can be calculated using the mass of the substance and the known specific heat capacity. Finally, the latent heat of the unknown substance can be
dhkdl1
I need to determine the latent heat of an unknown substance X in kcal/g if 3.0g of boiling liquid X are completely vaporized in 1.5 hours by an energy source of 10kcal/hr.

Thanks a million!

Dave

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, dhkdl1. Homework and coursework questions like this need to be posted in the appropriate forum in the Homework Help section of the PF, and not in the general technical forums. I've moved your thread to the Homework Help forums, leaving a redirect in the general technical forum.

And on questions like these, you are required to show us the relevant equations and some of your own work, in order for us to be able to provide some tutorial help to you.

So what equations do you think apply here?

still need help!

dhkdl1 said:
I need to determine the latent heat of an unknown substance X in kcal/g if 3.0g of boiling liquid X are completely vaporized in 1.5 hours by an energy source of 10kcal/hr.

Thanks a million!

Dave

The formula my book show for Q=cmdelta T, I guess what I reaaaallllyyy need to know is how to find deltaT given the above problem and then the Lv(latent heat of the unknown substance). This too is a distance learning experience. So please point me in the right direction

Related to Determine the latent heat of an unknown substance

What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of heat required to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature.

Why is it important to determine the latent heat of an unknown substance?

Knowing the latent heat of a substance can help in understanding its properties and behavior, as well as in various industrial and scientific processes such as refrigeration, energy storage, and materials processing.

How is the latent heat of an unknown substance determined?

The latent heat of an unknown substance can be determined by conducting experiments in which the substance undergoes a phase change and measuring the amount of heat absorbed or released during the process. This can be done using various methods such as calorimetry and differential scanning calorimetry.

What factors can affect the latent heat of a substance?

The latent heat of a substance can be affected by its chemical composition, purity, and physical state (solid, liquid, or gas). It can also vary with temperature and pressure.

Can the latent heat of an unknown substance be calculated?

Yes, the latent heat of an unknown substance can be calculated using the specific heat capacity and enthalpy of fusion or vaporization of the substance, as well as the change in temperature during the phase change.