Determine the images of the functions f: R -> R....?

In summary, the images of functions f: R -> R defined as follows are 0 <= f(x) < 1 for a) and -1 < f(x) < 1 for b). The converse implication does not always hold for a) and for b), it is enough to study the behavior when x > 0 since f(x) is odd.
rayne1
Determine the images of functions f: R -> R defined as follows:
a) f(x) = x^2/(1+x^2)
b) f(x) = x/(1+|x|)

I have no idea if I am doing it right but this is what I did for a):

The two sets:
f: A -> B
The image of f is the set b ∈ B such that f(x) = b has a solution.
Since f(x) = x^2/(1+x^2) and f(x) = b, we have b = x^2/(1+x^2).
Then, b(1+x^2) = x^2.
For this to be true b >= 0. So, does that mean the image of f is b>=0? If so, is there anything more I need to show?

Physics news on Phys.org
rayne said:
Since f(x) = x^2/(1+x^2) and f(x) = b, we have b = x^2/(1+x^2).
Then, b(1+x^2) = x^2.
For this to be true b >= 0. So, does that mean the image of f is b>=0?
You are right that $b=x^2/(1+x^2)$ implies $b\ge0$, but the converse implication does not always hold. In $x^2/(1+x^2)$, the numerator is smaller than the denominator, so $b<1$. Consider small $x$ and large $x$. Can $b$ assume any value between $0$ and $1$?

For $f(x)=x/(1+|x|)$, one can see similarly that $|x|<1+|x|$, so $|f(x)|=|x|/(1+|x|)<1$, which means that $-1<f(x)<1$. Note that $f(x)$ is odd, i.e., $f(x)=-f(-x)$, so it's enough to study its behavior when $x>0$. Can $f(x)$ assume any value between 0 and 1 (and therefore between $-1$ and $1$?

Evgeny.Makarov said:
You are right that $b=x^2/(1+x^2)$ implies $b\ge0$, but the converse implication does not always hold. In $x^2/(1+x^2)$, the numerator is smaller than the denominator, so $b<1$. Consider small $x$ and large $x$. Can $b$ assume any value between $0$ and $1$?

For $f(x)=x/(1+|x|)$, one can see similarly that $|x|<1+|x|$, so $|f(x)|=|x|/(1+|x|)<1$, which means that $-1<f(x)<1$. Note that $f(x)$ is odd, i.e., $f(x)=-f(-x)$, so it's enough to study its behavior when $x>0$. Can $f(x)$ assume any value between 0 and 1 (and therefore between $-1$ and $1$?

So for a) it's 0 <= b < 1 and for b) the image can just be written as -1 < f(x) < 1?

rayne said:
So for a) it's 0 <= b < 1 and for b) the image can just be written as -1 < f(x) < 1?
Yes. I would use $f(x)$ instead of $b$ for a) as well.

For function a), your approach is correct. The image of f will be all real numbers greater than or equal to 0, since any value of x^2/(1+x^2) will result in a positive number. To show this, you can also graph the function and see that it never goes below the x-axis.

For function b), the approach is similar. The image of f will be all real numbers except for 0, since any value of x/(1+|x|) will result in a non-zero number (since the absolute value of x will always be positive). To show this, you can also graph the function and see that it never crosses the x-axis.

Related to Determine the images of the functions f: R -> R....?

1. What does f: R -> R mean?

The notation f: R -> R means that the function f maps elements from the set of real numbers (R) to elements in the same set of real numbers (R). In other words, the input and output of the function are both real numbers.

2. How do you determine the images of a function?

To determine the images of a function, you need to plug in different values for the input (x) and see what output (y) is produced. The set of all possible output values is called the range or image of the function.

3. What is the difference between the domain and the range of a function?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values, while the range is the set of all possible output values. In other words, the domain is the set of values that can be plugged into the function, and the range is the set of values that the function can produce.

4. Can a function have the same image for multiple inputs?

Yes, a function can have multiple inputs that produce the same output. This is known as a one-to-many or many-to-one function. For example, the square root function has two possible inputs (positive and negative) that produce the same output (the positive square root).

5. How can you graph the images of a function?

To graph the images of a function, you can plot points on a coordinate plane where the x-coordinate represents the input and the y-coordinate represents the output. You can also use technology such as a graphing calculator to plot the function's values and connect them to create a visual representation of the function's images.