Determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s

In summary: The forces on A are the same as those on B and C, but directed in the opposite direction. Therefore, the forces on A are F_1= 58.8 and F_2=58.8, while the forces on B and C are F_3=117.6 and F_4=117.6, and F_5= 58.8 and F_6=117.6 respectively. In summary, the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact surfaces are F_1= 58.8, F_2= 58.8, F_3=117.6, F_4=117.6, F_5= 58.8, and F
Kasiopea
Homework Statement
The question is: Three smooth homogeneous cylinders A, B, C are stacked in a V shaped through as shown in the figure below. Each cylinder weights 100 [N] and has a diameter 5 cm. Determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact surfaces. Angel theta is equal to 30 degrees
Relevant Equations
Using the equation of equilibrium at statics
I tried to solve it and I got that the forces on the cylinder A are: F_1= 58.8 and F_2=58.8
Cylinder B are: F_3=117.6 and F_4=117.6
Cylinder C are: F_5= 58.8 and F_6=117.6

Can someone help me with this?

Attachments

• 900B6B09-6272-4624-974C-89940D7418FB.jpeg
    900B6B09-6272-4624-974C-89940D7418FB.jpeg
    23.4 KB · Views: 223
Physics news on Phys.org
Kasiopea said:
Problem Statement: The question is: Three smooth homogeneous cylinders A, B, C are stacked in a V shaped through as shown in the figure below. Each cylinder weights 100 [N] and has a diameter 5 cm. Determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact surfaces. Angel theta is equal to 30 degrees
Relevant Equations: Using the equation of equilibrium at statics

I tried to solve it and I got that the forces on the cylinder A are: F_1= 58.8 and F_2=58.8

Can someone help me with this?
I came up with some significantly different answers.

Please show us the steps on how you came up with your answers. (A diagram showing which forces correspond to [itex] F_1, F_2, F_3, [/itex] etc. would be nice too. Or at least try to describe which forces are which.)

Last edited:
Kasiopea said:

The symmetry of the arrangement tells you that each of the three forces on C equals the corresponding force on B.

Related to Determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s

1. What is the purpose of determining the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s?

The purpose of determining the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s is to understand the external forces acting on the pipes and ensure that the supports can withstand these forces without causing damage or failure.

2. How do you calculate the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s?

The forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s can be calculated by using the principles of statics, which involves analyzing the external forces and moments acting on the pipes and applying the equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces.

3. What factors can affect the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s?

The forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s can be affected by various factors such as the weight of the pipes, the weight of any fluid or material inside the pipes, the angle and direction of the pipes, and any external forces acting on the pipes such as wind or seismic activity.

4. Why is it important to consider the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s in the design process?

Considering the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s is crucial in the design process as it ensures that the pipes and supports are strong enough to withstand the expected external forces and prevent any potential failures or accidents. It also helps in optimizing the design to minimize material and construction costs.

5. Can computer simulations be used to determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s?

Yes, computer simulations can be used to determine the forces exerted by the supports on the pipes at contact s. By inputting the necessary parameters and equations, computer programs can accurately calculate the forces and provide visual representations of the forces acting on the pipes and supports. However, it is important to validate these simulations with physical testing to ensure accuracy.