Determine the equation of the tangent line to the function given

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the slope and equation of a function at ##x = \frac{3\pi} 4##, with the conclusion being that the slope is 2 and the equation is ##y=2x-\frac{3\pi }{2}##. There was initially some confusion about the slope being 0, but it was determined that the correct slope is 2.
ttpp1124
Homework Statement
The answer is supposed to be in exact value, and I'm not sure if my form is correct. Can my answer be further left in exact value, or shall I leave it as it is?
Relevant Equations
n/a
IMG_4213.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I get a different value for the slope of f at ##x = \frac{3\pi} 4##.

@Mark44 I checked his work, I also get 2:

$$\left.\tfrac{dy}{dx}\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\left.\tfrac{d}{dx}\tan \left( 2x-\tfrac{\pi}{2}\right)\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\left. 2\sec ^2 \left( 2x-\tfrac{\pi}{2}\right)\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\tfrac{2}{\cos ^2 \left( \pi\right)}=2$$

Mark44 said:
I get a different value for the slope of f at ##x = \frac{3\pi} 4##.
sorry for the late follow-up, I checked my work again, and my slope is 2. My b value, upon calculation, is ##-3\pi ##. Would my final equation be ##y=2x-3\pi##?

Attachments

• IMG_4249.jpg
    IMG_4249.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 118
benorin said:
@Mark44 I checked his work, I also get 2:

$$\left.\tfrac{dy}{dx}\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\left.\tfrac{d}{dx}\tan \left( 2x-\tfrac{\pi}{2}\right)\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\left. 2\sec ^2 \left( 2x-\tfrac{\pi}{2}\right)\right|_{x=\tfrac{3\pi}{4}}=\tfrac{2}{\cos ^2 \left( \pi\right)}=2$$
Right. There's a place in the image in post #1 where it says "slope = 0 + x = 3π/4", so I thought the OP was getting 0 for the slope.
ttpp1124 said:
Would my final equation be y=2x−3π?
Yes.

Mark44 said:
Right. There's a place in the image in post #1 where it says "slope = 0 + x = 3π/4", so I thought the OP was getting 0 for the slope.
Yes.
sorry, I realized I made an error in my math upon determining the equation. It would be ##y=2x-\frac{3\pi }{2}##.

ttpp1124 said:
sorry, I realized I made an error in my math upon determining the equation. It would be ##y=2x-\frac{3\pi }{2}##.
Yes, that's right.

Sorry for my previous incorrect answer...

Related to Determine the equation of the tangent line to the function given

1. What is the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line is a linear equation that represents the slope of a curve at a specific point. It can be written in the form y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the line and b is the y-intercept.

2. How do you determine the equation of the tangent line?

The equation of the tangent line can be determined by finding the derivative of the function at the specific point of interest. The derivative represents the slope of the tangent line at that point. Once the slope is known, it can be plugged into the point-slope form of a line to find the equation.

3. What is the point-slope form of a line?

The point-slope form of a line is y - y1 = m(x - x1), where m is the slope of the line and (x1, y1) is a point on the line. This form is useful for finding the equation of a line when the slope and a point on the line are known.

4. Can the equation of the tangent line change at different points on a curve?

Yes, the equation of the tangent line can change at different points on a curve because the slope of the curve is constantly changing. The tangent line represents the instantaneous slope at a specific point, so as the point moves along the curve, the equation of the tangent line will change.

5. What is the significance of the tangent line in calculus?

The tangent line is significant in calculus because it represents the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is used to find the derivative of a function, which is a fundamental concept in calculus. The tangent line also helps in understanding the behavior of a curve at a particular point and can be used to approximate the value of a function at that point.