Determine the energy required to accelerate a car

In summary: F is the force, c is the speed of the object, and ds is the distance between the points where the force is applied.
Pepsi24chevy
energy problem...

I got a problem that goes likethis: Determine the energy required to accelerate a 1300 kg car from 10 to 60km/h on an uphill road with a vertical rise of 40m.

Ok i know that work is the itegral of force which is ma. But what about this vertical rise of 40m? Does this basically mean at a 90 degree angle? Guess i just don't see the problem happening like that, but if that is what it means, that is what it means.

Physics news on Phys.org
A simpler way to approach this problem would be to look at the change in kinetic and potential energy of the car. What are the starting KE and PE, and what are the ending KE and PE? What is the total energy of the car at the start and end?

berkeman said:
A simpler way to approach this problem would be to look at the change in kinetic and potential energy of the car. What are the starting KE and PE, and what are the ending KE and PE? What is the total energy of the car at the start and end?
So i got 1/2*1300[(60000/2600)^2-(10000/3600)^2]*((1kJ/kg)/(1000m^2/s^2)) for the change in the kinetic energy. I still don't see where the vertical rise of 40m comes into play...

Think about what happens when you throw a ball straight up in the air. When it leaves your hand, it has some initial velocity, and hence some Kinetic Energy (KE). At the top of its arc, its velocity is zero, so what is the KE of the ball then? Where did that energy go? How come the faster you throw the ball, the higher the top of the arc is? What is the relationship between the initial velocity and the distance to the top of the arc?

The same concepts apply to the problem that you are trying to solve here.

Hey, are you in my thermo class? That is due tomorrow. Look at the example problem in the book, it already shows you how to do it. Open your book to page 69 example 2-8 and 2-9.

Pepsi24chevy said:
I still don't see where the vertical rise of 40m comes into play...

Think of it as a slope. The car starts at the bottom (h=0) and "finishes" at the top of the slope, 40m above starting ground level. The angle is not important.

As posted earlier, thinking about the energies at the start and at the end, you should be able to solve the problem.

assyrian_77 said:
Think of it as a slope. The car starts at the bottom (h=0) and "finishes" at the top of the slope, 40m above starting ground level. The angle is not important.

As posted earlier, thinking about the energies at the start and at the end, you should be able to solve the problem.
ok thanks, I got it now. I wasn't clearly thinkin about how the 40 factors in.

Are you taking thermo with jackson?

Ok i know that work is the itegral of force which is ma.

That is not true. Work is the integral of [tex] \int_c F * ds [/tex]

Last edited:

Related to Determine the energy required to accelerate a car

1. How is energy related to acceleration?

The energy required to accelerate a car is directly related to its mass and the change in its velocity. The equation for this relationship is: E = 1/2 x m x v^2, where E is the energy, m is the mass, and v is the change in velocity.

2. What factors affect the energy required to accelerate a car?

The main factors that affect the energy required to accelerate a car are its mass, the force applied, and the resistance forces acting against the car, such as friction and air resistance. Other factors can include the car's aerodynamics and the quality of the road surface.

3. How can I calculate the energy required to accelerate a car?

To calculate the energy required to accelerate a car, you will need to know the car's mass, the force applied, and the distance over which the car is accelerating. You can then use the equation E = 1/2 x m x v^2 to determine the energy required. Alternatively, you can use online calculators or physics equations to help with the calculation.

4. What is the unit of measurement for energy in this context?

The unit of measurement for energy in this context is joules (J). This is a unit of energy and work, and is equal to the amount of energy required to exert a force of one newton over a distance of one meter.

5. How does the energy required to accelerate a car impact its fuel efficiency?

The energy required to accelerate a car has a direct impact on its fuel efficiency. The more energy that is required to accelerate the car, the more fuel it will consume. This is why lighter cars with better aerodynamics tend to have better fuel efficiency, as they require less energy to accelerate. Additionally, driving habits and conditions can also affect fuel efficiency.