Determine the electric field at the centre of the triangle

In summary, In this triangle, the length of segment AE is equal to the height of the triangle (13.51 cm), and the length of segment DE is equal to the charge placed at the vertex of the triangle (2.0 μC).
shashaeee
physics6.jpg

Consider an equilateral triangle of side 15.6cm. A charge of +2.0μC is placed at one vertex and charges -4μC each are placed at the two. Determine the electric field at the centre of the triangle.

I used Pythagoreom theory to find the height and divided it by 2 but now I'm stuck because I realized it's not exactly the middle of the triangle, but rather the middle of the triangle side =/ How do I go from there to find the centre?

Then I basically will use the formula E = kQ / r2, for the charge +2.0μC towards the centre. And correct me if I'm wrong, but do the electric field at the bottom end up cancelling out, or just the x-components of their electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
See the dashed-line triangles? Can you see that their height + their dashed-line side = the height you have found?

I'm sorry, I don't exactly follow. =/ Are you saying I don't need to do the Pythagorean process?

You need to determine the position of the center. You have found the height of the triangle, but you are not sure how the height corresponds to the position of center. If you consider those dashed-line triangles, you will see how the center divides the height. Yes, you will need Pythagoras' theorem for that.

mhmm, so here is what I did... With the 15.6cm, I used Pythagorean to find the height to be 13.5cm of the side triangle. Then Pythagorean theorom again to find the height of the center, which I calculated to be 11.0cm. Divided that by 2 to get the centre of the triangle.

Am I in the right direction this time?

Let's say the height of the bug triangle is H - this is what you have found.

Let's say that the height of the "dashed" triangle (say, the one at the bottom) is h. Observe that (H - h) is equal to the length hypotenuse of one half of the "dashed" triangle. Can you relate H and h given all this, and find out what h is?

I'm sorry, I'm really horrible visualizing this, but I think I get what you mean!

So, I found the height of the bottom dashed triangle.
I divided it in half...
Used it with the height of the side triangle I originally found
And with Pythagorean Theorom, found the height at the centre then divided it by 2 ... ?

I am not sure I understand the reason for the final division. Can you show your intermediate results?

So with the side triangle: I found the height to be 13.51cm
With the bottom dashed triangle... because I need the height to reach the centre, I divided the height of that dashed triangle by 2, so I got: 6.7cm

Using the side triangle height, the half height of the bottom dashed triangle and Pythagorean, I found the full height at the centre of the triangle to be: 11.7cm

But because I only need the height from the tip of the equilateral triangle to the centre, I divided the full height by 2 and got: 5.9cm

Let's label the vertices of the big triangle A (left), B (top), C (right). Let's call the point in the middle D. Let E denote the point of the intersection of line BD with line AC.

You have found that the length of segment AE = H = 13.51 cm. That is correct.

Now you need to find the length of segment DE = h = ?. To find this, you may consider triangle ADE. In this triangle, you know the length of AE, and you know what angle DAE is (what is it?). From these, you can find the length of DE.

Related to Determine the electric field at the centre of the triangle

1. What is the formula for determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

The formula for determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle is E = (kQ1/r^2) + (kQ2/r^2) + (kQ3/r^2), where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q1, Q2, and Q3 are the charges of the three sides of the triangle, and r is the distance from the centre of the triangle to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How do you determine the direction of the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

To determine the direction of the electric field at the centre of a triangle, you must consider the direction of each individual electric field created by the three sides of the triangle. The direction will depend on the relative positions and charges of the three sides. You can use vector addition to find the overall direction of the electric field at the centre of the triangle.

3. What is the significance of determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

Determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle is important in understanding the overall electric field in that region. It can help in analyzing the behavior of electric charges and predicting the movement of charged particles within the triangle. It is also crucial in applications such as electronics, where the electric field plays a key role in the functioning of circuits.

4. Are there any assumptions made when determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle?

Yes, there are a few assumptions made when determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle. These include assuming that the three sides of the triangle are infinitely thin, that the charges on the sides are evenly distributed, and that the distances between the centre of the triangle and each side are equal.

5. Can the formula for determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle be applied to other shapes?

Yes, the formula for determining the electric field at the centre of a triangle can be applied to other shapes as well, as long as they have a symmetrical distribution of electric charges. However, the formula may differ depending on the shape and the distribution of charges. It is important to understand the underlying principles and make any necessary adjustments when applying the formula to different shapes.