Determine the dielectric constant

In summary, the problem involves two flat metal circles forming a parallel plate capacitor with a distance of 8.0 mm between them. The surface charge density of one plate is +1.0*10^-3 microCouloubs/mm^2 and the potential difference is measured to be .12 Volts. A dielectric is present between the plates and the goal is to find the dielectric constant. The equation used is C=K*(E0)*[A/d] and the area of the plate is found using A=(pi)r^2.
jamba88

Homework Statement

Two flat metal circles of radius r=15 mm are brought a distance d=8.0 mm apart to form a parallel plate capacitor. The surface charge density of one plate is measured to be +1.0*10^-3 microCouloubs/mm^2. The potential difference across the capacitor is measured to be .12 Volts. There is a dielectric between the plates. What is the dielectric constant.

Homework Equations

C=K*(E0)*[A/d]
A=(pi)r^2
Q= CV... maybe

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged what I had into the equation, but I don't know how to find the capacitance using the surface charge density.
I have
C= K(8.85*10^-12)*[pi*(.015^2)/.008]

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the area of the plate(mm2), then multiply that by the density to give charge.

= K*(5.89*10^-8)
But I'm not sure where to go from here.

Dear student,

Thank you for your question. To determine the dielectric constant, we need to find the capacitance of the parallel plate capacitor. The equation you used, C=K*(E0)*[A/d], is correct. However, to find the capacitance, we need to use the value of the surface charge density (σ) in the equation Q=σA, where Q is the charge on one of the plates and A is the area of the plate.

So, from this equation, we can write Q = σ*(pi*r^2) = (1.0*10^-3 * 10^-6)*(pi*0.015^2) = 7.07*10^-12 C.

Now, we can plug this value of Q into the equation Q=CV to get the capacitance, C = Q/V = (7.07*10^-12 C)/0.12 V = 5.89*10^-11 F.

Finally, we can plug this value of capacitance into the original equation C=K*(E0)*[A/d] and solve for K.

K = C/[(E0)*A/d] = (5.89*10^-11 F)/[(8.85*10^-12 F/m)*(pi*0.015^2 m^2)/0.008 m] = 2.26.

Therefore, the dielectric constant for the material between the plates is approximately 2.26.

I hope this helps. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Best regards,

Related to Determine the dielectric constant

1. What is the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant, also known as the relative permittivity, is a measure of a material's ability to store electrical energy in an electric field. It is the ratio of the electric flux density in a vacuum to the electric flux density in the material.

2. How is the dielectric constant measured?

The dielectric constant is typically measured using a device called a capacitance meter. The material is placed between two conducting plates, and the capacitance is measured with and without the material present. The difference in capacitance is used to calculate the dielectric constant.

3. What factors affect the dielectric constant?

The dielectric constant of a material can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and frequency of the applied electric field. It can also vary depending on the type of material and its composition.

4. Why is the dielectric constant important?

The dielectric constant is an important property in many electronic and electrical applications. It affects the capacitance and impedance of devices, as well as the speed at which electrical signals can travel through a material. It also plays a role in the design and performance of capacitors, insulators, and other components.

5. How can the dielectric constant be used to determine the properties of a material?

The dielectric constant can be used to determine the electrical properties of a material, such as its ability to conduct or insulate electricity. It can also provide information about the molecular structure and composition of a material, as different materials have different dielectric constants. This can be useful in material characterization and identification.