Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Determine the degree of each equation in each of the indicated unknowns.

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
$xy+yz+xz+z^2x=y^4$ x;y;z; x and z; y and z; x, y, and z

I know x is 2nd degree, y is 4th degree, z is 2nd degree.

but I don't know how to determine the degree of the combinations of the unknowns. please help. thanks!

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
You (and perhaps the person who set this question) seem to have the wrong idea about "degree". The "degree" of a polynomial equation, in each variable, is the highest power to which the variable appears. You say, "I know x is 2nd degree" but I see no "[tex]x^2[/tex]" in the given polynomial. Perhaps that was a mistype. But I have no idea what could be meant by the degree of "x and z", "y and z", or "x, y, and z".

(If you had said "degree of xz" then I might stretch a point and seeing that term "xz" and "[tex]z^2x= z(xz)[/tex]" say that the polynomial is of degree one in "xz".)

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
$xy+yz+xz+z^2x=y^4$ x;y;z; x and z; y and z; x, y, and z

I know x is 2nd degree, y is 4th degree, z is 2nd degree.

but I don't know how to determine the degree of the combinations of the unknowns. please help. thanks!
It seems the degree of x to be 1... or may be the expression is erroneous?...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

paulmdrdo

May 13, 2013
what I mean is the degree of the polynomial equation in xz, the degree in yz, the degree in xyz. the answer in my book says 3,4,4 respectively. but I didn't understand why is that.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
First, let's agree on the basic definitions. From Wikipedia:

A polynomial can either be zero or can be written as the sum of a finite number of non-zero terms. Each term consists of the product of a number—called the coefficient of the term—and a finite number of indeterminates, raised to integer powers. The exponent on an indeterminate in a term is called the degree of that indeterminate in that term; the degree of the term is the sum of the degrees of the indeterminates in that term, and the degree of a polynomial is the largest degree of any one term with nonzero coefficient.
what I mean is the degree of the polynomial equation in xz, the degree in yz, the degree in xyz. the answer in my book says 3,4,4 respectively. but I didn't understand why is that.
My guess is that the degree of the equation in $xz$ is the degree of that equation where $y$ is considered a constant (i.e., a coefficient) rather than a variable (indeterminate). Then the degree of the right-hand size $y^4$ is 0, and the term with the highest degree is $z^2x$; its degree is 3.