Determine the currents in this electrical network

In summary, the conversation discusses setting up equations using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine loop currents in a given circuit. The equations are correctly set up, with the exception of the voltage sources in loop 1, which should have a potential difference of 240V instead of 120V.
Edge Of Pain

Homework Statement

This is quite an easy problem but I'm not sure if I set up my equations correctly, and I want confirmation.

We are given the following circuit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=467003&d=1443975912.png

And our task is to determine the loop currents [itex] i_{1}, i_{2}, i_{3}, i_{4} [/itex].

Homework Equations

Kirchhoff's first law: sum of currents entering and leaving a loop = 0.
Kirchhoff's second law: sum of electromotive forces = sum of potential difference of loop.
Ohm's law: V = IR.

The Attempt at a Solution

Just apply Kirchoff's laws and Ohm's laws to get the following:

loop 1:
[itex] 50(i_{1} - i_{2}) + 30(i_{1} - i_{3}) = 120V [/itex]

loop 2:
[itex] 50(i_{2} - i_{1}) + 15i_{2} + 10(i_{2} - i_{3}) + 25(i_{2} - i_{4}) = 120V [/itex]

loop 3:
[itex] 30(i_{3} - i_{1}) + 10(i_{3} - i_{2}) + 20(i_{3} - i_{4}) + 5i_{3} = 120V [/itex]

loop 4:
[itex] 25(i_{4} - i_{2}) + 10i_{4} + 30i_{4} + 15i_{4} + 20(i_{4} - i_{3}) = 120V [/itex]

I'm not concerned about finding the numerical values, I'm just wondering if I've set these equations up correctly. Are some of these supposed to be -120 volts on the right hand side? If so, how do I determine that?

Physics news on Phys.org
Only one loop has voltage sources in it, and that's Loop 1. So the RHS of all but the first equation should be zero.

Now, you'll want to be a bit careful about the voltage in Loop 1. Note that one lead is labeled +120 V and the other -120 V. How do you think that might come about? Pencil in what the "missing" circuitry might look like.

Likes Edge Of Pain
gneill said:
Only one loop has voltage sources in it, and that's Loop 1. So the RHS of all but the first equation should be zero.

Now, you'll want to be a bit careful about the voltage in Loop 1. Note that one lead is labeled +120 V and the other -120 V. How do you think that might come about? Pencil in what the "missing" circuitry might look like.

In that case, RHS of all the equations should be 0 except for loop 1 which should be 240V (potential difference). Is that correct?

Edge Of Pain said:
In that case, RHS of all the equations should be 0 except for loop 1 which should be 240V (potential difference). Is that correct?
Yup. Be sure to get its polarity right in your equation.

Likes Edge Of Pain

Related to Determine the currents in this electrical network

What is an electrical network?

An electrical network is a system of interconnected electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, and power sources, that work together to transmit and control electrical energy.

How do you determine the currents in an electrical network?

To determine the currents in an electrical network, you must use Kirchhoff's current law, which states that the sum of all currents entering and exiting a node in a circuit must equal 0. This involves setting up and solving a system of equations using the values of the components in the network.

What factors can affect the currents in an electrical network?

The currents in an electrical network can be affected by the resistance, capacitance, and inductance of the components, as well as the voltage and frequency of the power source.

How do you represent an electrical network in a diagram?

Electrical networks are typically represented in diagrams using symbols for the different components, such as resistors, capacitors, and power sources. These diagrams also show the connections between the components and the direction of current flow.

Why is it important to determine the currents in an electrical network?

Determining the currents in an electrical network is important for understanding how the components in the network are functioning and whether there may be any issues or imbalances that need to be addressed. It also allows for the calculation of power usage and other important electrical parameters.