Determine the Angluar Velocity of the Slender Rod.

In summary: So you have x' = -rωsinθ.You can also substitute for r. In summary, to calculate the angular velocity w of the slender bar Ab, use the equation w = -x'(sinθ)/√(x²+h²). The value x' can be found using the equation x' = -rωsinθ, where r is the radius of the drum and ω is the constant angular velocity of the drum.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

Calculate the angular velocity w of the slender bar Ab as a function of the distance x and the constant angular velocity w0 of the drum.

I have attached an image of the question

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

x = √(x2+h2)cos(θ)

x' = -√(x2+h2)sin(θ)θ'

θ' = -x'/√(x2+h2)sin(θ)

θ' = -x'/h

But I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm having trouble dealing with x'.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• dyn 5.042.png
    dyn 5.042.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 879
Physics news on Phys.org
When taking the time derivative, you neglected the time dependence of x on the right side of the equation. It will be easier if you start over and use a different trig function than cosine.

Do you mean something like:

x = h/tan(θ)

Yes. And 1/tanθ equals another trig function.

Do you mean 1/tan(θ) = cos(θ)/sin(θ) ?

No. cotθ

With this information I've managed to get:

x = h/tan(θ)

x = hcot(θ)

x' = -hcsc(θ)

θ' = -x'/hcsc(θ)

θ' = -x'sin2(θ)/h

And I know that h = √(x2+h2)sin(θ)

θ' = (-x'sin2(θ))/√(x2+h2)sin(θ)

Which simplifies to:

θ' = -x'sin(θ)/√x2+h2)

I also recognized that sin(θ) = h/√(x2+h2)

θ' = -x'h/(x2+h2)

At this point I'm a little unsure of the x' and what to substitute it with. I know that:

v = wXr = rwcos(θ)

I'm unsure if what I've written here for v is correct. Particularly, as the given answer does not have a cos(θ) in it.

Could someone clarify this for me?

x'= v = tangential speed of rim of drum = rω

Note: from the equation θ' = -x'sin2(θ)/h it would be easier to substitute for sinθ rather than substitute for h.

Related to Determine the Angluar Velocity of the Slender Rod.

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating or revolving around an axis. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How do you determine the angular velocity of a slender rod?

The angular velocity of a slender rod can be determined by dividing its angular displacement (change in angle) by the time it takes to rotate that amount. This can be represented by the formula: ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the formula for calculating angular velocity?

The formula for calculating angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time. This formula is also known as the average angular velocity formula.

4. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity and linear velocity are different because they measure different types of motion. Angular velocity measures the rate of rotation or revolution, while linear velocity measures the rate of change in position of an object in a straight line. Angular velocity is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s), while linear velocity is usually measured in meters per second (m/s).

5. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a slender rod?

The angular velocity of a slender rod can be affected by factors such as the length and mass of the rod, the force or torque applied to it, and any external forces acting on it (such as friction). In addition, changes in the shape or distribution of mass along the rod can also impact its angular velocity.