Determine the amount of NaOH and Sr(OH)2 based on pOH

• Thread starter ducmod
  • Start date
In summary: The pOH of the solution is 1.51.In summary, the problem is asking for the amounts (in moles) of NaOH and Sr(OH)2 in a 4.00-L base solution with a pOH of 1.51. The solution contains a total of 0.100 mol of NaOH and Sr(OH)2, both of which are strong bases. The mistake in the attempted solution is that there are only 0.100 moles of OH- in the solution, not 0.1236 moles. This is because each mole of Sr(OH)2 only produces 2 moles of OH- when dissociating.
ducmod

Homework Statement

Hello!
I am trying to solve the following problem:
A 4.00-L base solution contains 0.100 mol total of

NaOH and Sr(OH)2 . The pOH of the solution is 1.51.

Determine the amounts (in moles) of NaOH and

Sr(OH)2 in the solution.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]
I am stuck because I am not sure I correctly constructing the solution path:

We have pOH = 1.51, which means that there are 10^(-1.51) moles of OH in solution, i.e. 0.0309 moles per one liter of solution. If I have 4 liters, then shouldn't there be 0.1236 moles of OH in this solution?
But according to the problem there are only 0.100 moles of NaOH and Sr(OH)2; both are strong bases, therefore there 0.100 moles of OH in the 4 liters of solution. How can that be?
Where is my mistake?
Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
How many moles of OH- are produced per 1 mole of dissociating Sr(OH)2?

Borek said:
How many moles of OH- are produced per 1 mole of dissociating Sr(OH)2?
2 moles. There are 3 moles of OH- produced by dissociating both NaOH and Sr(OH)2, and two of those come from dissociating Sr(OH)2

What does it mean

ducmod said:
solution contains 0.100 mol total of NaOH and Sr(OH)2

1. How do I determine the amount of NaOH and Sr(OH)2 based on pOH?

To determine the amount of NaOH and Sr(OH)2 based on pOH, you will need to use the equation: pOH = -log[OH-]. From this equation, you can calculate the concentration of hydroxide ions (OH-) in the solution. Then, using the balanced chemical equation for the reaction, you can determine the molar ratio between hydroxide ions and NaOH or Sr(OH)2. Finally, you can use this ratio to calculate the moles of NaOH or Sr(OH)2 needed to neutralize the solution and determine the amount in grams or milliliters.

2. What is pOH and how does it relate to pH?

pOH is the negative logarithm of the hydroxide ion concentration in a solution. It is used to measure the basicity of a solution, just as pH is used to measure the acidity. The two are related by the equation: pOH + pH = 14. This means that if the pOH of a solution is known, the pH can be easily calculated and vice versa.

3. How do I find the concentration of hydroxide ions if I know the pOH?

To find the concentration of hydroxide ions from a given pOH value, you can use the equation: [OH-] = 10^(-pOH). This will give you the concentration of hydroxide ions in units of molarity (M). From there, you can use this concentration to calculate the amount of NaOH or Sr(OH)2 needed for neutralization.

4. Can I use the same method to determine the amount of other bases?

Yes, the same method can be used to determine the amount of any base, as long as you know the pOH and have the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Simply follow the steps outlined above to calculate the concentration of hydroxide ions and use the molar ratio to find the amount of the base needed.

5. What are some potential sources of error when using this method?

Some potential sources of error when using this method include inaccurate measurements of volume or mass, using expired or impure substances, or not accounting for any additional reactions or side reactions that may occur. It is important to carefully follow the correct procedure and use precise measurements to minimize any sources of error.