Determine Sub-Vector Spaces of W & V

In summary, the conversation discusses two sets, W and V, and their properties as sub vector spaces. W is determined to be a sub space with a dimension of 3, while V's status is uncertain. The conversation then explores the closure conditions and a linear relationship between the variables in V. Finally, it is suggested to prove the answer by exhibiting a basis if V is indeed a subspace.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have two sets:

\[W={\begin{pmatrix} a &2b \\ c-b &b+c-3a \end{pmatrix}|a,b,c\epsilon \mathbb{R}}\]

\[V=ax^{2}+bx+c|(a-2b)^{2}=0\]I need to determine if these sets are sub vector spaces and to determine the dim.

I think that W is a sub space and dim(W)=3 (am I right?)

I don't know how to approach V...any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
The set of all 2x2 real matrices can be viewed as a vector space of dimension 4.

In this view, W becomes the space spanned by:

(1,0,0,-3), (0,2,-1,1) and (0,0,1,1).

Is this a linearly independent set?

For the second set, it might be good to verify the closure conditions, first (the 0-polynomial is obviously a member of $V$).

Suppose:

$p(x) = ax^2 + bx + c$
$q(x) = dx^2 + ex + f$

are both in $V$.

Does $(p+q)(x) = (a + d)x^2 + (b+e)x + (c+f)$ satisfy:

$[(a+ d) - 2(b+e)]^2 = 0$?

If $k$ is any real number, does:

$(ka - 2kb)^2 = 0$ (that is, is $(kp)(x) \in V$)?

(Hint: if $r^2 = 0$, then $r = 0$).

Can you find a LINEAR relationship between $a,b,c$?

Finally, PROVE your answer by exhibiting a basis, if $V$ is indeed a subspace.

Related to Determine Sub-Vector Spaces of W & V

1. What is a sub-vector space?

A sub-vector space is a subset of a larger vector space that also satisfies the properties of a vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

2. How do you determine if a set of vectors is a sub-vector space of a given vector space?

To determine if a set of vectors is a sub-vector space of a given vector space, you need to check if it satisfies the three properties of a vector space: closure under vector addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector. If it satisfies all three properties, then it is a sub-vector space.

3. Can a sub-vector space contain the zero vector?

Yes, a sub-vector space must contain the zero vector in order to satisfy the properties of a vector space. If it does not contain the zero vector, then it is not considered a sub-vector space.

4. Is it possible for a sub-vector space to be the same as the original vector space?

Yes, it is possible for a sub-vector space to be the same as the original vector space. In this case, the sub-vector space would contain all of the vectors in the original vector space.

5. How can sub-vector spaces be useful in real-world applications?

Sub-vector spaces can be useful in real-world applications when dealing with large amounts of data. By identifying sub-vector spaces, we can reduce the dimensionality of the data and simplify calculations. This can be especially helpful in fields such as machine learning and data analysis.