Determine Posititive Feedback Gain in an Oscillator

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with an ideal op-amp and the positive feedback gain expression for this circuit. The solution involves combining components and solving for the voltage at V2 using the input impedance at V2. Alternatively, the gain can be calculated as a cascade of two voltage dividers.
Fronzbot
NOTE- Images are thumbnails, click to enlarge

Homework Statement

Show that the positive feedback gain expression for the circuit below is
v2/v0 = 1/[3 + j(wL/R - R/WL)]

(anything in red I added to the original problem)
th_circuit.jpg

Homework Equations

(above)

The Attempt at a Solution

Along with the below calculations, I also attempted to combine the components but that didn't work either. I combined R and L2 in series, those in parallel with the other R and then in series with L1 (let's call all of that Zt). I then said (V2-V0)/Zt = 0 and proceeded to solve for V2/V0 but did not get the right answer. I thought that that should work since this is an ideal op-amp and no current is flowing between L2 and R, but alas I did not get the correct answer. Any guidance?

th_calcs.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
One of your equations is (Vo-Vx)/jwL=0. This would mean that Vo=Vx which can't be true if you are applying a signal to Vo and then calculating the voltage resulting at V2. You have to imagine applying a test current signal (of unit value, say) at Vo, and then calculating the result at V2, and therefore Vx can't be equal to Vo. You would need to set (Vo-Vx)/jwL=1; from this you can calculate the voltage at V2 (and subsequently at Vo) from knowledge of the input impedance at V2.

Another way to do it would be to calculate the gain from Vo to V2 as a cascade of two voltage dividers.

Related to Determine Posititive Feedback Gain in an Oscillator

1. How is positive feedback gain defined in an oscillator?

Positive feedback gain in an oscillator refers to the amount of amplification produced by the feedback loop within the oscillator. It is a measure of how much the output signal is increased by the feedback compared to the input signal.

2. What is the role of positive feedback gain in an oscillator?

The positive feedback gain is essential in sustaining the oscillations in an oscillator. It amplifies the output signal, which is then fed back into the input, creating a continuous cycle of amplification that allows the oscillator to produce a stable and consistent output signal.

3. How is positive feedback gain calculated in an oscillator?

Positive feedback gain can be calculated by dividing the output voltage by the input voltage. This can be done at any point in the feedback loop, as long as both the input and output signals are measured at the same point.

4. What factors can affect the positive feedback gain in an oscillator?

The positive feedback gain in an oscillator can be affected by the components used in the feedback loop, such as resistors and capacitors. The gain can also be influenced by the frequency of the input signal and the overall design of the oscillator circuit.

5. How can the positive feedback gain be optimized in an oscillator?

To optimize the positive feedback gain in an oscillator, careful selection and placement of the components in the feedback loop is crucial. Additionally, adjusting the frequency of the input signal and fine-tuning the overall circuit design can help achieve the desired gain for stable and efficient oscillations.