Determine inner wall temp of a pipe....

In summary, the speaker is trying to determine the inner wall temperature of a pipe in subsea conditions in order to further their analysis. They have tried using Nusselt number correlations, but these require the viscosity at the wall which cannot be calculated without knowing the wall temperature. They are considering using the average temperature of the fluid flowing in the pipe as an estimation. Another suggestion is to use the Seebeck effect or the Dittus-Boelter equation, but these may not be applicable for laminar flow. The speaker plans to proceed with using the average fluid temperature for their analysis.
shevir1
I have derived a few equations to determine temp distribution through pipe wall in subsea conditions.

However I am finding it difficult to determine what the wall temperature will be. I need to know and use this temperature to further my analysis.

As of now I know the following parameters:

-Fluid temperature within pipe = 66 degrees
-Ambient temperature = 4 degrees
-Wall thickness = 12.7mm
-Inner radius = 0.1905

Could you recommend a way I can determine the inner wall temperature? or point me in the right direction.

Without this wall temp I am also unable to calculate heat flow rate or convection coefficients for inner and outer fluid.
Many thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
You need to know the heat transfer coefficients inside and outside the pipe. Do you know how to estimate these?

I have looked up many correlations, an example being nusselts number. but even in that correlation it required me to know the viscosity at wall, yet i still don't have the wall temperature, needed to calculate that.

any other estimations i could try?

shevir1 said:
I have looked up many correlations, an example being nusselts number. but even in that correlation it required me to know the viscosity at wall, yet i still don't have the wall temperature, needed to calculate that.

any other estimations i could try?
The Nusselt number correlations are the way to go. Since you don't have the temperature at the wall, you will need to use trial and error. But, the term involving the viscosity at the wall is only a minor correction. You can start out using the average temperature of the fluid.

chet

ok, yes i was thinking of using an average temp. shall do. thanks

shevir1 said:
ok, yes i was thinking of using an average temp. shall do. thanks
Average temperature of what?
You have an average temperature of the wall from entrance to exit.
an average temperatue of the fluid from entrance to exit.
an average temperature of the ambient fluid of convecton at entrance to exit.

Which one will you choose?

i was going for the second. average temp of fluid flowing in the pipe

Could you somehow use the Seebeck effect to measure its temperature? I honestly have no idea how it would work, but I figured if you touch a different piece of metal to it and measure the voltage, you could do some math to convert it into a temperature.

Since the viscosity of the fluid at the wall temperature is unknown, I am just wondering whether you can adopt the Dittus-Boelter equation/model to simplify the engineering estimations. The Dittus-Boelter equation is an explicit method for calculating the Nusselt number. It is easy to solve, and is an acceptable estimate for cases when there is a small temperature difference between bulk fluid and the pipe wall.

Hi pocketengineer, thanks for the suggestion. However the Dittus Boelter model applies for turbuent flow, where as mine is laminar.

I am doing for two cases water in pipe and methane in pipe, so i will be able to easily apply Dittus etc equation to the later.
For the case with water in pipe (laminar flow) I will proceed with chestmillers suggestion in using the average fluid temp.

Thanks

shevir1 said:
Hi pocketengineer, thanks for the suggestion. However the Dittus Boelter model applies for turbuent flow, where as mine is laminar.

I am doing for two cases water in pipe and methane in pipe, so i will be able to easily apply Dittus etc equation to the later.
For the case with water in pipe (laminar flow) I will proceed with chestmillers suggestion in using the average fluid temp.

Thanks
If you want all the details on how to do it, see Transport Phenomena by Bird, Stewart, and Lightfoot.

Related to Determine inner wall temp of a pipe....

1. What is the purpose of determining the inner wall temperature of a pipe?

The inner wall temperature of a pipe is an important factor in understanding the overall temperature distribution within the pipe. It can help in determining the efficiency of heat transfer, identifying potential issues such as hotspots or cold spots, and ensuring the integrity and safety of the pipe.

2. How do you determine the inner wall temperature of a pipe?

The inner wall temperature of a pipe can be determined by using various methods such as thermal imaging, thermocouples, heat flux sensors, or numerical simulations. The most appropriate method depends on the type of pipe and the available resources.

3. What factors can affect the inner wall temperature of a pipe?

The inner wall temperature of a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the type of fluid flowing through the pipe, the rate of flow, the material and thickness of the pipe, the ambient temperature, and any insulation or external heat sources.

4. Why is it important to accurately determine the inner wall temperature of a pipe?

Accurately determining the inner wall temperature of a pipe is crucial for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the pipe. It can help in identifying any potential issues or failures, optimizing the design and performance of the pipe, and preventing any hazards or accidents.

5. Can the inner wall temperature of a pipe change over time?

Yes, the inner wall temperature of a pipe can change over time due to various factors such as changes in the ambient temperature, variations in the flow rate or fluid properties, and the degradation of the pipe material. It is important to regularly monitor and update the inner wall temperature to maintain the integrity and safety of the pipe.