Determine image distance relative to lens

In summary, the problem involves two identical diverging lenses with a separation of 13 cm and a focal length of -6.5 cm each. An object is placed 3.0 cm to the left of the left lens. Using the equation 1/i + 1/o = 1/f, we can find the final image distance relative to the right lens. Using this equation, we get an image distance of -4.386 cm. However, if we use the object distance of -13.487 cm, we get an image distance of -12.547 cm. It is important to double check calculations to ensure accuracy.
phys62

Homework Statement

Two identical diverging lenses are separated by 13 cm. The focal length of each lens is -6.5 cm. An object is located 3.0 cm to the left of the lens that is on the left. Determine the final image distance relative to the lens on the right.

Homework Equations

1/i + 1/o = 1/f

1/i = 1/f - 1/o

The Attempt at a Solution

1/i = 1/-6.5 - 1/3
i= -.487

13 + .487 = 13.487 cm

I feel like I'm not doing this right at all.. can someone please let me know if I'm even on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
13 + .487 = 13.487 cm
This is the object distance for the second lens. Find the final image distance from the second lens.

Ok so I took 1/13.487 + 1/i = 1/-6.5

and I solved for i and got -4.386 cm.

Is this correct, or should I have used -13.487 and got -12.547 as my answer?

and I solved for i and got -4.386 cm.
This is correct.

It's telling me that answer is incorrect.. I guess I'll try the -12.547 next

1/i = 1/-6.5 - 1/3
i= -.487

Check this calculation.

Related to Determine image distance relative to lens

What is the equation for determining image distance relative to lens?

The equation for determining image distance relative to lens is 1/f = 1/do + 1/di, where f is the focal length of the lens, do is the object distance, and di is the image distance.

How does the focal length of the lens affect the image distance?

The focal length of the lens directly affects the image distance. A shorter focal length will result in a longer image distance, while a longer focal length will result in a shorter image distance.

What is the difference between a positive and negative image distance?

A positive image distance means that the image is formed on the opposite side of the lens from the object. A negative image distance means that the image is formed on the same side of the lens as the object.

Can the image distance be greater than the object distance?

Yes, the image distance can be greater than the object distance. This is known as a virtual image, where the light rays do not actually converge to form an image.

How do you determine the magnification of an image using the image distance?

The magnification of an image can be determined by dividing the image distance by the object distance. This will give you a ratio that represents the size of the image compared to the size of the object.