Determine if you have enough info to figure a side

• MHB
  • Thread starter clhrhrklsr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Figure
In summary, The conversation discusses a practice problem involving a 15 foot ladder placed against a wall, with the base represented by 'a'. The second question involves determining if there is enough information to find the length of side C in a triangle with a 90 degree angle, a 67 degree angle, and a height of 10 feet. The necessary trigonometric ratio is determined to be tangent and the calculation is shown.
clhrhrklsr
I have a couple of practice problems similar to ones I've seen before.

Could anyone tell me how to figure these? I don't even know where to begin on solving these. How do you begin to determine if you have enough information.

Thanks in advance for any help! View attachment 2802

Attachments

• 20140718120607143.pdf
    32.9 KB · Views: 53
Mathematics news on Phys.org
No.
0<a<15

Suppose you have a 15 foot ladder to place against a wall. 'a' represents the distance of the base from the wall.

RLBrown said:
No.
0<a<15

Suppose you have a 15 foot ladder to place against a wall. 'a' represents the distance of the base from the wall.

Thanks! Okay, now the 2nd question on my attachment. Is there enough information given to find the length of side C? You are given a 90 degree angle, a 67 degree angle. You are also given a height of 10'-0". Side "C" is the slope of the triangle. Is there enough information given in this triangle to find side C?

clhrhrklsr said:
Thanks! Okay, now the 2nd question on my attachment. Is there enough information given to find the length of side C? You are given a 90 degree angle, a 67 degree angle. You are also given a height of 10'-0". Side "C" is the slope of the triangle. Is there enough information given in this triangle to find side C?

Yes there is. What trigonometric ratio do you think you will need to use?

Code:
Prove It said:

Yes there is. What trigonometric ratio do you think you will need to use?

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

\tan\left({67}\right) = \frac{AB}{BC}

AB = 10 x \tan\left({67}\right)

\tan\left({67}\right) = 23.5585

If you need to convert the decimal to feet and inches, you would get the following-

23.5585=23'-6\frac{11}{16}"

Last edited:

Related to Determine if you have enough info to figure a side

1. How do I know if I have enough information to determine a side length?

The first step is to identify what information you already have. This may include measurements of other side lengths, angles, or other geometric properties. Once you have a clear understanding of the information you have, you can then use geometric formulas or methods to determine if you have enough information to find the missing side length.

2. What if I am missing some information?

If you are missing some information, it may still be possible to determine the missing side length. You can use algebraic equations to solve for the missing value or use trigonometric functions if the shape is a triangle. If you are unable to find the missing side length with the given information, you may need to gather more information or use alternative methods.

3. Can I use any method to determine the side length?

There are several methods you can use to determine a side length, such as using geometric formulas, algebraic equations, or trigonometric functions. The method you choose may depend on the given information and the type of shape you are working with. It is important to choose a method that is appropriate for the given situation.

4. Do I need to know the perimeter or area of the shape?

Knowing the perimeter or area of the shape may be helpful in determining a missing side length, but it is not always necessary. Depending on the given information, you may be able to determine the missing side length without knowing the perimeter or area. However, having additional information can often make the process easier.

5. Is there a specific order or steps I should follow?

There is no specific order or set of steps that must be followed to determine a side length. However, it is important to carefully analyze the given information and choose an appropriate method to use. It may also be helpful to double-check your calculations and use multiple methods to verify your answer.