Determine if three vectors form a right hand triple?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple and why (a-b)x(a+b)=2(axb). The person asking for help is confused and unsure about the process, and there is a suggestion to start by defining what a right hand triple is. The second part of the conversation involves using the distributive and associative properties to solve the equation and using the anti-commutative property of the cross product to simplify the equation.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

ok can someone tell me how to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple? and why does (a-b)x(a+b)=2(axb)...

please someone help, I am really confused on how to do these... arent just three vectors a right hand triple if the dot product between them all is 0?? I am not sure though please someone help.. and the second one.. the must be a formula or a property i can't find... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

fredrick08 said:

Homework Statement

ok can someone tell me how to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple? and why does (a-b)x(a+b)=2(axb)...

please someone help, I am really confused on how to do these... arent just three vectors a right hand triple if the dot product between them all is 0?? I am not sure though please someone help.. and the second one.. the must be a formula or a property i can't find... thanks
Well, first of all what is the definition of "right hand triple"? That would seem a good place to start!

For the second, I assume that you are talking about the cross product of vectors. (a- b)x(a+ b)= what if you just go ahead and multiply it out (the distributive and associative laws of multiplication are true for the cross product). Now remember that cross product if anti-commutative. What is axa? What is bxb?

I can provide some guidance on how to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple and explain the relationship between (a-b)x(a+b) and 2(axb).

To determine if three vectors form a right hand triple, we can use the right hand rule. This rule states that if you curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of the first vector, then the second vector, the resulting thumb will point in the direction of the cross product of the two vectors. If the third vector is in the same direction as the resulting thumb, then the three vectors form a right hand triple.

As for the relationship between (a-b)x(a+b) and 2(axb), we can use the properties of the cross product. The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is perpendicular to both a and b and has a magnitude of |a||b|sinθ, where θ is the angle between the two vectors. Therefore, (a-b)x(a+b) has a magnitude of |a-b||a+b|sinθ, while 2(axb) has a magnitude of 2|axb|. Since |a-b| = |a+b|, we can see that (a-b)x(a+b) and 2(axb) have the same magnitude. Additionally, the direction of (a-b)x(a+b) is opposite to that of 2(axb), which is why we use the negative sign in the formula (a-b)x(a+b) = -2(axb). This relationship is based on the properties of the cross product and can be used to simplify calculations involving cross products.

In conclusion, it is important to understand the right hand rule and the properties of the cross product in order to determine if three vectors form a right hand triple and to understand the relationship between (a-b)x(a+b) and 2(axb). I hope this helps clarify your confusion.

Related to Determine if three vectors form a right hand triple?

1. How do you determine if three vectors form a right hand triple?

To determine if three vectors form a right hand triple, you can use the right hand rule. Place your right hand on the first vector with your fingers pointing in the direction of the vector. Then, rotate your hand towards the second vector. If your hand can curl in the direction of the third vector, then the three vectors form a right hand triple.

2. What is the right hand rule?

The right hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of a cross product between two vectors. It states that if you point your right hand in the direction of the first vector and then rotate your hand towards the second vector, your thumb will point in the direction of the cross product.

3. Can three non-coplanar vectors form a right hand triple?

Yes, three non-coplanar vectors can form a right hand triple. As long as the vectors follow the right hand rule, they can form a right hand triple regardless of their coplanarity.

4. Is it possible for three coplanar vectors to form a right hand triple?

No, it is not possible for three coplanar vectors to form a right hand triple. If the three vectors lie on the same plane, they cannot follow the right hand rule and therefore cannot form a right hand triple.

5. How can the right hand rule be used in real-life applications?

The right hand rule is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the direction of forces and magnetic fields. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to determine the orientation of 3D objects. Additionally, it is used in sports such as baseball and tennis to predict the direction of spin on a ball.