Determine if System State is Pure or Mixed?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of determining whether a state is pure or mixed without knowing the entire state space. It is suggested that a brute force approach of observing a large number of similarly prepared systems could be used, but there is also mention of a non-brute force approach called "quantum state tomography". Reference is made to the book "Sneaking a Look at God's Cards" and a thought experiment in it, as well as a similar discussion in David Albert's book "Quantum Mechanics and Experience".
normvcr
The short question: For the current state of a given system, is there a way to determine whether the state is pure or mixed?

Of course, one can take as many ensembles as you need, do as many experiments as you need, and determine where the state sits in the entire state space. However, I find this brute force approach unappealing, as it requires knowledge of the entire state space.

The refined question: Is there a way to determine whether the state is pure or mixed, without knowing the structure of the entire state space? i.e. Is there some intrinsic property of a state that will tell you whether it is pure or mixed?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not to my knowledge for a general system However, if you were to pick a particular system like a glass of water and a drop of ink. You could determine the pure statem if the water has no color and a mixed state of it does.

Interesting. I would say that this example uses our knowledge of the entire state space -- classical line segment with the two endpoints being the pure states.

if you measure the density matrix of your state the Von Neumann entropy tells you if it is pure.

normvcr said:
For the current state of a given system, is there a way to determine whether the state is pure or mixed?

Yes there is.

For a large number of similarly prepared systems you can, in principle, determine its state, pure or mixed, to a vanishingly small probability by observations on each of those systems. You may have to divide them into large sub groups and do different observations on each - but we are speaking about matters of principle.

normvcr said:
The refined question: Is there a way to determine whether the state is pure or mixed, without knowing the structure of the entire state space? i.e. Is there some intrinsic property of a state that will tell you whether it is pure or mixed?

Sure - by simple trial and error on a large number of similarly prepared systems - remember - conceptually it can be as large as you like.

Thanks
Bill

Last edited:
bhobba said:
For a large number of similarly prepared systems you can, in principle, determine its state, pure or mixed, to a vanishingly small probability by observations on each of those systems. You may have to divide them into large sub groups and do different observations on each - but we are speaking about matters of principle.

Do you have a reference as to how it would done? I'm curious now..., and want to add to my QM knowledge.

StevieTNZ said:
Do you have a reference as to how it would done? I'm curious now..., and want to add to my QM knowledge.

The book you often quote gives a way.

But its easy - by pure brute force.

Simply guess a state and observe a large number of systems for that state to see if you get all the same yes outcome. Then guess another and repeat. There is a vanishingly small probability it will give a false positive.

Thanks
Bill

StevieTNZ said:

It's generally called something like "quantum state tomography", and is a brute force approach like bhobba mentioned, eg. http://arxiv.org/abs/1303.7154. I believe the OP was asking whether a non-brute force approach for an arbitrary unknown state exists (I think it doesn't, but am not sure).

bhobba said:
The book you often quote gives a way.

But its easy - by pure brute force.

Simply guess a state and observe a large number of systems for that state to see if you get all the same yes outcome. Then guess another and repeat. There is a vanishingly small probability it will give a false positive.

Thanks
Bill
"Sneaking a Look at God's Cards"?

StevieTNZ said:
"Sneaking a Look at God's Cards"?

That's correct.

That's what the thought experiment you like does - it tells, in that case, the difference between a mixed and pure state.

Thanks
Bill

I appreciate the discussion and responses. Is there something in "Sneaking a Look at God's Cards" that I need to know about to know what you guys are talking about?

Last edited:
Likes atyy

Related to Determine if System State is Pure or Mixed?

1. What is a system state?

A system state refers to the current configuration and status of a system, including all of its components and processes. It can also refer to the set of data and variables that are used to define the current state of a system.

2. What does it mean for a system state to be pure?

A pure system state is one in which all components and variables are in a known and consistent state. This means that there are no external influences or factors that are affecting the system's behavior or output. It is often the desired state for systems to be in, as it allows for more accurate and predictable results.

3. How is a system state determined to be pure or mixed?

A system state is determined to be pure or mixed by analyzing all of the components and variables within the system. If there are any external factors or variations that are impacting the system, it would be considered a mixed state. A pure state is achieved when all components and variables are in a known and consistent state, without any external influences.

4. What are some examples of factors that can cause a system state to become mixed?

External factors that can cause a system state to become mixed include changes in environment, errors in data or inputs, and changes in system requirements or settings. For example, a sudden increase in network traffic could impact the performance of a system and lead to a mixed state.

5. How can a mixed system state be corrected?

To correct a mixed system state, the external factors that are impacting the system must be identified and addressed. This may involve troubleshooting and fixing errors, adjusting system settings, or resolving any external issues that are causing disruptions. Once these factors are resolved, the system state can be restored to a pure state.