Determine from the time / height graph the speed at point

In summary, in this conversation, the speakers discuss determining the speed at a specific time (t1) using the left graph. One speaker suggests drawing a tangent line at t1 and determining the slope to find the speed, while the other speaker points out the difficulty in accurately plotting the tangent line due to the poor quality of the graph. They also discuss the fairness of asking for the tangent at an endpoint on a graph. Another speaker shares a graph they created using Excel to demonstrate the concept.
moenste

Homework Statement

Determine from the left graph the speed at t1.
4684b06a6a30.jpg

Answer:
Draw the tangent (right graph) at t1 and determine the slope. v = 1.4/0.30 = 4.7 m/s

2. The attempt at a solution
The slope is (Y2-Y1)/(X2-X1). t1 coordinates are (0.24-0.25, 0). In order to get the answer I should draw a tangent line exactly in the (0.54, 1.4) coordinates. How is it possible? As I uderstand the tangent line should be as close to the curve as possible, before crossing it. I printed out the left graph and I get like (0.58, 1.4). So the answer is 4-4.3 depending on the 0.24-.25. So my questions: Am I plotting the tangent line right? (the closest as possible to the curve) If not, how should I plot it? Where is my mistake, so I can get the 4.7 m/s answer?

Thank you all in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're doing everything right, it's just that it's impossible to get a very accurate answer under these conditions. I got 3.5 at a quick eye-balling but after looking again, I can support your answer. 4.7m/s seems at bit of a stretch and I can only conclude that the guy who came up w/ it drew HIS tangent a bit off.

Likes moenste
phinds said:
I think you're doing everything right, it's just that it's impossible to get a very accurate answer under these conditions. I got 3.5 at a quick eye-balling but after looking again, I can support your answer. 4.7m/s seems at bit of a stretch and I can only conclude that the guy who came up w/ it drew HIS tangent a bit off.
Thank you. And the logic that tangent lines should be drawn as close to the curve as possible, but not cross it, is correct, right? And in general: draw the tangent line as close as possible to the curve, use coordinates of the point (in my case t1) and the coordinates where the line goes off the graph (at 1.4 meters) and using the coordinates get the slope.

I wouldn't be so worried, it's that the problem is from the past exams and this is the answer, so I guess it's right. But still I guess if the tangent line is drawn correctly and the coordinates are taken right, I don't think it's a big problem if the answer is slightly different. After all, the graph is really bad, can't tell what's the t1 coordinates (0.24 or 0.25 or else) and same for the second point, the x coordinate is also hard to measure.

Yeah, I can easily get 1.4/0.28 = 5 and still claim that's a good tangent :

Slope.jpg

I agree with you that grading this should allow a considerable margin. Also I think the exercise is a bit unfair asking for the tangent at an end point.

Likes moenste
moenste said:
Thank you. And the logic that tangent lines should be drawn as close to the curve as possible, but not cross it, is correct, right?
Right. Ideally, the tangent should touch the line at exactly one point but not by crossing. The curve should move away from the tangent line in each direction from the point of contact. I agree w/ BvU that asking for the tangent of an end point on a graph is unreasonable.

Likes moenste
Overdoing it, I admit.
Here's a picture for a parabola ##v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2 ## with ##v_0 = 4.9## and ##a = -9.8 \quad ## (##t_0 = 0.24##)
Not bad, but at t = 1.08 a bit low.

Parabola2.jpg

BvU said:
Overdoing it, I admit.
Here's a picture for a parabola ##v_0 t + {1\over 2} at^2 ## with ##v_0 = 4.9## and ##a = -9.8 \quad ## (##t_0 = 0.24##)
Not bad, but at t = 1.08 a bit low.

View attachment 88712

Nice graph. What package did you use to make it?

The epitome of unstructured programming. It's called Excel.

Related to Determine from the time / height graph the speed at point

What does the time/height graph represent?

The time/height graph represents the relationship between time and height for a particular object or system.

How do you determine the speed at a certain point on the graph?

The speed at a certain point on the graph can be determined by calculating the slope of the line at that point. This is done by dividing the change in height by the change in time.

Why is it important to know the speed at a certain point on the graph?

Knowing the speed at a certain point on the graph can provide valuable information about the motion of the object or system. It can help predict future behavior and make accurate calculations.

Can the speed at a point on the graph be negative?

Yes, the speed at a point on the graph can be negative. This indicates that the object or system is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the graph.

How can the speed at a point on the graph be used to calculate other quantities?

The speed at a point on the graph can be used to calculate other quantities such as acceleration and displacement. It can also be used to determine the average speed or velocity over a certain time interval.