Determine electrical power generated by changing B-field through a loop

In summary, we are given a circular loop of radius a and resistance R placed in a changing magnetic field that is perpendicular to the loop. The magnetic field is described by B(t) = B_0 * e^(-t), with B_0 as a constant. Using Faraday-Lenz law, we can determine the electrical power in the circuit when t = 0. Simplifying the equations, we get power = (πa^2 B_0)^2 / R, which is the final answer.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

A circular loop of radius a and resistance R is placed in a changing magnetic field so that the field is perpendicular to the plane of the loop. The magnetic field varies with time as B(t) = B_0 * e^(-t) where B_0 is a constant. Determine the electrical power in the circuit when t = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

so according to faraday-lenz law

Emf = -Nd(Mflux)/dt

I don't have to worry about N, so

Emf = -d(Mflux)/dt

M flux = BA (no cos since field is perpendicular)

B = B(t) = B_0 * e^(-t)
A = (πa^2)

A is constant, I can pull it out of the derivative, B_0 is as well, so pull that out

Emf = -πa^2 B_0 * d(e^(-t)) / dt

Emf = -πa^2 B_0 * -e^(-t)

Emf = πa^2 B_0 * e^(-t)

Since power = I V

and I = V / R

power = V^2 / R

Plug in Emf for V

power = (πa^2 B_0 * e^(-t) )^2 / R

when t = 0, e^(-t ) = 1

so power = (πa^2 B_0 )^2 / R

and that's my answer.. is this correct? Sorry I hate posting these "am I right or not!?" posts but my book doesn't have the answer to this one sadly :(

Physics news on Phys.org
I couldn't see a mistake.

Related to Determine electrical power generated by changing B-field through a loop

1. How does changing the magnetic field affect the electrical power generated by a loop?

Changing the magnetic field through a loop induces an electromotive force (EMF) which results in an electrical current. This current, in turn, generates electrical power. Therefore, increasing or decreasing the magnetic field will directly impact the amount of electrical power generated by the loop.

2. What is the formula for determining the electrical power generated by changing the magnetic field through a loop?

The formula for calculating the electrical power generated by a loop is P = I x V, where P is power, I is current, and V is voltage. By changing the magnetic field, we can alter the current and therefore change the amount of power generated by the loop.

3. How does the size of the loop affect the electrical power generated by changing the magnetic field?

The size of the loop does not directly affect the electrical power generated by changing the magnetic field. However, a larger loop can capture a larger magnetic field, resulting in a higher EMF and therefore a higher electrical power output.

4. Does the speed at which the magnetic field changes impact the electrical power generated by the loop?

Yes, the rate of change of the magnetic field, also known as the magnetic flux, is directly proportional to the induced EMF and therefore affects the electrical power generated by the loop. A faster-changing magnetic field will result in a higher EMF and a higher power output.

5. What is the significance of determining the electrical power generated by changing the magnetic field through a loop?

Understanding the relationship between magnetic fields, EMF, and electrical power is crucial in many fields, including electrical engineering and renewable energy. This knowledge allows us to design more efficient electrical systems and harness renewable energy sources such as wind and hydroelectric power.