How do you choose a thread? (misleading?)

• Thread starter Manuel_Silvio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thread
In summary, Raavin thinks that it is important to make sure that threads in PF3 Philosophy are of a high standard in order to maintain the scholarly standard of the board.
Manuel_Silvio
This is noway much of Philosophy but a question of your way in making (possibly) minor choices but isn't that the heart of Philosophy?

You log into PF, come to PF-Philosophy and see a set of new threads all open for discussion or you see someone has made a new post in some thread you'd said something in.

What makes you choose a certain thread out of this many?

PS: A poll doesn't suffice because I expect the answers to come in a very broad range.

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually read new posts on threads in which I have recently contributed - it's always nice to get feedback. :wink:

As for threads I haven't seen before - I try to read at least the first post of all of them if I have time (which never seems to be the case). So I give priority to threads with topic lines that grab my attention/interest, as well as the number of current reply posts.

yep, i read anything too; when i have time anyway. other times i just come back to continue discussions i have already taken part in. today i have time obviously. :wink:

..in threads, i try to find those that bear a concept, not that turn around well-sounding keywords without deeper consideration or don't come to a point.
..i like threads, the author invested a great deal of his OWN view and thoughts or 'thought-work', not turning given 'book-knowledge' through the laundry drum.
..but it's difficult and often not possible, to tell one from the other.
..i rather avoid threads with "sense of life" or the like in the title.

i choose by the title, especially if it is something i have put a lot of thought into on a personal basis...

This is noway much of Philosophy but a question of your way in making (possibly) minor choices but isn't that the heart of Philosophy?

Actually, I think it really is a decent philosophy question.

I used to avoid certain titles, but eventually reality slapped me in the face again. Never judge a thread or a book by its cover, unless you are already familiar with the author's work. After checking what's inside the cover, often I just let it stew in the back of my mind for awhile.

There are only two major considerations for me:

1) Does the thread possibly relate to the ongoing development of my personal philosophy?

2) Does it possibly threaten to significantly lower the scholarly standards and prosperity of the philosophy bulletin board?

Both are really one and the same thing to me.

Originally posted by wuliheron

There are only two major considerations for me:

1) Does the thread possibly relate to the ongoing development of my personal philosophy?

2) Does it possibly threaten to significantly lower the scholarly standards and prosperity of the philosophy bulletin board?

Both are really one and the same thing to me.

So you are saying that stuff that relate to your ongoing philosophical development is stuff that will lower to standards of PF??

i think he means he is making a conscious effort so that we might avoid such issues. at least i hope that is what he means.

So you are saying that stuff that relate to your ongoing philosophical development is stuff that will lower to standards of PF??

Some of it most definitely. Humor is not a scholarly standard, but is very important to my personal philosophy. :0)

i think he means he is making a conscious effort so that we might avoid such issues. at least i hope that is what he means.

Oh no, I love a good joke. Its the bad ones that get to me.

My first priority are those threads in which I've said something. I check them first lest something obscene about me happens in there .
When I want to choose a thread for the first time, the title is really effective. For example, roeighty had opened a thread with the title "blacksheet of beyond" and you should know by now how fond of "beyond" I am (don't you know? you've missed much in that case:wink:).
After the title, the first post on the thread is really important.

1st I check on threads I've started
2nd Check for threads that are questions I might know the answer to or things I feel I might provide some input to.
3rd scan for interesting subjects

This doesn't really apply specifically to the philosophy section. I haven't actually started a thread in PF3 Philosophy. I've been spending more time in the General, technology and Other sciences sections rather than Theory development which I haunted most in PF2.

Not sure why.

Raavin [?]

1. How do you determine the right thread size for a project?

The first step in choosing a thread is to consider the size and weight of the fabric you will be using. A general rule of thumb is to use a thread that is slightly thinner than the fabric, as this will help prevent bulkiness and puckering in your stitches. However, if you are working with a delicate or lightweight fabric, you may want to use a finer thread to avoid any damage.

2. Is it important to match the thread color to the fabric color?

In most cases, it is best to match the thread color to the fabric color for a more seamless and professional look. However, if you are intentionally creating contrast or using decorative stitching, you may choose to use a different colored thread. Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference and the overall look you are trying to achieve.

3. How do you choose the right thread material?

The most commonly used thread materials are cotton, polyester, and silk. Cotton is a natural fiber that is strong and has a matte finish, making it ideal for most sewing projects. Polyester is a synthetic fiber that is strong, durable, and has a slight sheen, making it a good choice for heavy-duty sewing. Silk is a luxurious and delicate thread that is ideal for delicate fabrics and decorative stitching. Consider the type of fabric and the desired look and strength of your stitches when choosing the right thread material.

4. Can I use different types of thread for different parts of a project?

Yes, you can use different types of thread for different parts of a project. For example, you may want to use a heavy-duty polyester thread for sewing seams and a finer cotton thread for topstitching. Just make sure to adjust your machine settings accordingly and test the tension and appearance of your stitches before sewing on your project.

5. What should I consider when choosing a thread for machine embroidery?

For machine embroidery, you will want to choose a thread that is specifically designed for this type of stitching. These threads are typically stronger, have a higher sheen, and come in a wider range of colors. It is also important to consider the weight and thickness of the thread, as well as the type of fabric you will be embroidering on. Experiment with different threads and settings to achieve the desired look and strength for your embroidery project.