Determination of the atomic radius of an Al atom

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the atomic radius of an Al atom using measurements of aluminum foil and its mass. The individual is unsure of how to use the molar mass of Al in their calculations but is advised to consider the atom as a cube for simpler purposes. They are then guided to use the number of Al atoms and the total volume to determine the volume of each atom, which can help find the radius.
dajugganaut
hi everyone,

im trying to find the atomic radius of an Al atom using a few measurements i have. i had a piece of aluminum foil its measurements were [ 10cm*9.9cm*0.0014cm ]. The mass of the aluminum foil was 0.40 grams. Is there any possible way i can find the radius of an Al atom? I know i might have to use the molar mass 26.98 g /mol somwhere, but i don't know where. If you could help me, that would be greatly appreciated!

thanks =)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i was told that the atom is spherical, but for simpler purposes to pretend it as a cube. then i would "stack" the cubes to find the radius of it. so i found out how many mols of Al there were in 0.4 g. and then i found the # of molecules in 0.4g of Al [assuming that it is pure Al] i can't be exactly sure what to do next

From the number of Al atoms, and the total volume (from the dimensions) occupied by this many atoms, can't you find the volume of each atom ?

It would be helpful if he could imagine the structure of Al in terms of cubic atoms...After all,atoms are not spherical...This part could help you find the radius...It's half of the length of a side of a cube...

Daniel.

Related to Determination of the atomic radius of an Al atom

1. What is the atomic radius of an Al atom?

The atomic radius of an Al atom is approximately 143 picometers (pm).

2. How is the atomic radius of an Al atom determined?

The atomic radius of an Al atom is determined through various experimental methods, such as X-ray crystallography, electron diffraction, and spectroscopy.

3. Why is the determination of atomic radius important?

The determination of atomic radius is important because it provides insight into the size and structure of atoms, which is crucial for understanding chemical bonding and predicting the properties of materials.

4. How does the atomic radius of Al compare to other elements?

The atomic radius of Al is larger than many other elements, such as carbon and oxygen, but smaller than elements like sodium and potassium.

5. Can the atomic radius of an Al atom vary?

Yes, the atomic radius of an Al atom can vary depending on its oxidation state, crystal structure, and surrounding environment.