Determination of Caffeine in Moutain Dew

In summary, the conversation revolved around an experiment to determine the concentration of caffeine in Mountain Dew. Three standards were made and measured, along with an unknown sample of Mountain Dew. The results were graphed to find the concentration of caffeine in the drink. The amount of caffeine in a 2 Liter bottle was also discussed, but there was confusion about how to calculate the mg of caffeine from the concentration (mg/L). Some participants suggested multiplying the concentration by the volume, while others suggested using unit analysis to determine whether to multiply or divide.
MitsuShai
We did an experiment (link provided below), where we were to determine the concentration of caffeine in Mountain Dew. We made 3 standards and measured their absorbance along with the unknown (the mountain dew sample) and we graphed these results to find the concentration of caffeine in Mountain Dew. I wanted to compare this with the amount of caffeine in a 2 Liter Mountain Dew bottle (which was the sample used in the experiment).
I only had to take 4 mL of the same of soda, which was diluted to 100 mL with 10 mL of HCl, so I thought I just had to multiply the concentration that I got by 100 mL to get the mg of caffeine, but I didn't get 310 mg of caffeine (which is the amount of caffeine in Mountain Dew), instead I got a really small number. How do you calculate the mg of caffeine from the concentration (mg/L)?

http://www.mnstate.edu/marasing/CHEM380/Labs/380PLABL/Spectrophotometric%20Analysis%20of%20a%20Mixture%20%20Caffeine%20and%20Benzoic%20Acid.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Haven't you calculated amount of caffeine in 4 mL?

Borek said:
Haven't you calculated amount of caffeine in 4 mL?

So I can't compare it to the caffiene in a 2 Liter bottle, right?

If you know how much caffeine is on 4 mL, you can easily calculate how much is in 2 L.

From the information you posted it is not clear what you did and what you calculated. Procedure calls for measurement of concentration in diluted sample, so I guess the number you have is concentration AFTER dilution. This is not the same as in the original drink.

Hey, I did that experiment too a long time ago. Let me see if I can add something without getting into trouble:

Say you take 2ml of Dew and dilute it to 100ml and you run your sample against all the standards and you come out with a value that says in that 100 ml sample, you have 6 mg/l of caffeine. So wouldn't that mean in the original 2ml sample of Dew that would be 50 (6)=300 mg/l since you diluted 2/100?

jackmell said:
Hey, I did that experiment too a long time ago. Let me see if I can add something without getting into trouble:

Say you take 2ml of Dew and dilute it to 100ml and you run your sample against all the standards and you come out with a value that says in that 100 ml sample, you have 6 mg/l of caffeine. So wouldn't that mean in the original 2ml sample of Dew that would be 50 (6)=300 mg/l since you diluted 2/100?

Oh duh that's how you do it, I was thinking of multiplying the sample by (2/100) instead of (100/2).
Thank you so much.

Unit analysis tells you what to do... multiply or divide.

Related to Determination of Caffeine in Moutain Dew

1. How is the caffeine content in Mountain Dew determined?

The caffeine content in Mountain Dew is determined using a process called high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). This is a method of separating and quantifying individual components in a solution, such as caffeine in Mountain Dew.

2. What is the standard method for determining caffeine levels in beverages?

The standard method for determining caffeine levels in beverages is the Association of Analytical Communities (AOAC) Official Method 991.31. This method involves extracting the caffeine from the beverage using a solvent and then analyzing it using HPLC.

3. How accurate is the determination of caffeine in Mountain Dew?

The determination of caffeine in Mountain Dew using HPLC is highly accurate and reliable. This method has been validated by the AOAC and is the industry standard for caffeine analysis in beverages. However, the accuracy of the results may vary depending on the calibration of the HPLC instrument and the skill of the analyst.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the caffeine determination in Mountain Dew?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of caffeine determination in Mountain Dew. These include the type and quality of the HPLC instrument, the skill and experience of the analyst, and the consistency of the beverage sample. Other factors such as temperature, pH, and storage conditions can also affect the results.

5. How much caffeine is typically found in Mountain Dew?

The amount of caffeine in Mountain Dew can vary depending on the specific product and serving size. On average, a 12-ounce can of Mountain Dew contains about 54 mg of caffeine. However, some products may have higher or lower amounts of caffeine, so it is important to check the nutrition label for accurate information.