Determain thickness of layers in cylindrical capacitor

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the thickness of an inner layer between two coaxial cylinders with different radii and dielectric constants, in order to achieve equal voltage drops over both layers. The solution involves using the electric field and voltage equations, and after correcting an error, the correct equation to solve for the thickness is found to be δ = {r_0}^{ \frac{\epsilon_2}{\epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2}} \cdot {r_1}^{ \frac{\epsilon_2}{\epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2}} - r_0.
Vernes

Homework Statement

We have two coaxial cylinders with radius r0 and r1. The space between the two cylinders is completely coverd with two coaxial isolation layers with relative dielectric constants ε1 and ε2, ε1 is for the inner layer. Calculate the thickness of the inner layer such that the voltage drop over both layers is equal.

Homework Equations

[tex] \oint \textbf{D} \cdot d\textbf{S} [/tex]
[tex] \textbf{D} = \epsilon_0 \epsilon_r \textbf{E}[/tex]
[tex] V(r_2) - V(r_1) =- \int_{r_1}^{r_2} \textbf{E} \cdot d\textbf{l} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let Qinside be the free charge inside where r < r0 and let δ be the thickness of the inner layer.
Then from symmetry we get when r0 < r < r1 :
[tex] \textbf{D(r)} = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi r^2} \hat{r} [/tex]
So the electric field E1 for r0 < r < (r0 + δ) is:
[tex] \textbf{E}_1 = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_1 r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]
and the electric field E2 for (r0 + δ)< r < r1 is:
[tex] \textbf{E}_2 = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_2 r^2} \hat{r}[/tex]
The voltage drop over the first layer is given by:
[tex] V(r_0 + \delta) - V(r_0) =- \int_{r_1}^{r_1 + \delta} \textbf{E}_1 \cdot d\textbf{l} = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_1}(\frac{1}{r_0 + \delta} - \frac{1}{r_0} ) [/tex]
The voltage drop over the second layer is given by:
[tex] V(r_1) - V(r_0 + \delta) =- \int_{r_1 + \delta}^{r_2} \textbf{E}_2 \cdot d\textbf{l} = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_2}(\frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{1}{r_0 + \delta} ) [/tex]
The voltage drops should be equal to we get:
[tex] \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_2}(\frac{1}{r_1} - \frac{1}{r_0 + \delta}) = \frac{Q_{inside}}{4\pi \epsilon_0 \epsilon_1}(\frac{1}{r_0 + \delta} - \frac{1}{r_0}) \Leftrightarrow \delta = \frac{(r_1-r_0)\epsilon_1 r_0} {\epsilon_2 r_1 + \epsilon_1 r_0} [/tex]
This is not the right answer according to the key but i can't seem to find where I go wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, I see one error that i did. D should be:
[tex] \textbf{D} = \frac{Q_{inside}}{2\pi L r}\hat{r} [/tex]
Similar steps as before gives me:
[tex] \frac{1}{\epsilon_1} \ln \frac{r_0+\delta}{r_0} = \frac{1}{\epsilon_2} \ln \frac{r_1}{r_0+\delta} [/tex]
My remaining question is then how do i solve for δ in the equation above?

Edit: Ok, I was a bit to hasty, it wasn't so hard to solve for δ as i expected...
If anyone is interested I got:
[tex] \delta = {r_0}^{ \frac{\epsilon_2}{\epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2}} \cdot {r_1}^{ \frac{\epsilon_2}{\epsilon_1 + \epsilon_2}} - r_0 [/tex]
Which is the right answer!

Last edited:

Related to Determain thickness of layers in cylindrical capacitor

What is a cylindrical capacitor?

A cylindrical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two metal cylinders, also known as electrodes, separated by a dielectric material. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the cylinders.

How do you determine the thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor?

The thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor can be determined by using the formula: T = (D - d)/2, where T is the thickness, D is the outer diameter of the capacitor, and d is the inner diameter of the capacitor.

What factors affect the thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor?

The thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor is affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the electrodes, the voltage applied to the capacitor, and the distance between the electrodes. Temperature and humidity can also have an impact on the thickness of layers.

Why is it important to determine the thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor?

The thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor is important because it affects the capacitance and the overall performance of the capacitor. A thicker layer can result in a higher capacitance, while a thinner layer can reduce the capacitance and lead to a less efficient capacitor.

What are some methods for measuring the thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor?

Some common methods for measuring the thickness of layers in a cylindrical capacitor include using a micrometer, a laser displacement sensor, and a capacitance measurement device. These methods can provide accurate measurements of the layer thickness and ensure the proper functioning of the capacitor.