Detector moving toward charged ring - rate of change of V

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a thin ring with a charge Q distributed uniformly along its length and a small detector moving towards the ring at a given velocity. The problem asks for the rate of change of potential in V/m at a specific point (5.91 cm, 0) and the sign will indicate if it is increasing or decreasing. Relevant equations are given and the final solution is determined to be -0.409. The question remains unclear as to whether dV/dx or dV/dt is sought, or both.
Alan I

Homework Statement

A thin ring (radius r = 1.41 cm) carries a charge Q = 8.57 pC distributed uniformly along its length. The ring lies in the y-z plane, so the axis through its center is the x-axis .

A small detector is moving along the positive x-axis toward the ring at velocity v = -0.543i mm/s. When the detector reaches the point (5.91 cm,0), at what rate does it measure the potential is changing, in V/m? The sign will indicate whether it is increasing or decreasing.
WP_20150917_004.jpg

Homework Equations

V = kQ / (x2+R2)1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I honestly cannot even figure out now looking at my notes what I actually did as it was towards the morning when I did this :biggrin: but this is what I have:

V = (Q/2πε0r2)*[(x2+r2)1/2-x]

It seems I took dV/dt and got (Q/2πε0r2)* x/(x2+r2)1/2

and then plugging in values I got - 0.409 :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you start again with a clear head. Your 'relevant equation' is right, but I cannot see how you got from there to your next equation. We cannot point out where you went wrong if you do not post your working.

Confusing question. The problem asks for rate of change of potential in V/m, suggesting what is sought is dV/dx evaluated at P. On the other hand, the velocity of P is also given, suggesting what is sought is dV/dt evaluated at P.
Take your pick I guess ...

They could also ask how the electric field (in V/m) is changing as function of time.
Pick one, or calculate more than one.

Yes, but then why did they give the speed? Something is odd, I just considered another option.

mfb said:
Yes, but then why did they give the speed? Something is odd, I just considered another option.
Sorry, I thought I had deleted my post. Yes, agreed, as I say, a confusing question!

Related to Detector moving toward charged ring - rate of change of V

1. What is a detector moving toward a charged ring?

A detector moving toward a charged ring refers to a scientific experiment in which a detector, such as a probe or sensor, is placed in close proximity to a ring that has a net electric charge. The purpose of this experiment is to measure the rate of change of voltage (V) between the detector and the charged ring as the detector moves closer to or farther away from the ring.

2. How is the rate of change of V calculated?

The rate of change of V is calculated by taking the difference in voltage readings from the detector at two different distances from the charged ring, and dividing it by the change in distance between the two readings. This gives the change in voltage per unit distance, also known as the electric field strength.

3. What factors can affect the rate of change of V in this experiment?

The rate of change of V can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the detector and the charged ring, the magnitude of the charge on the ring, and the speed at which the detector is moving toward or away from the ring. Additionally, the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity may also influence the rate of change of V.

4. How does the direction of the detector's movement affect the rate of change of V?

The direction of the detector's movement can have a significant impact on the rate of change of V. If the detector is moving toward the charged ring, the rate of change of V will be positive, indicating an increase in voltage. Conversely, if the detector is moving away from the ring, the rate of change of V will be negative, indicating a decrease in voltage.

5. What is the significance of measuring the rate of change of V in this experiment?

Measuring the rate of change of V in this experiment allows scientists to quantify the strength of the electric field between the detector and the charged ring. This information can provide valuable insights into the behavior of electric charges and can also be used to make predictions about the behavior of other charged objects in similar scenarios.