Detecting coils inside steel cylinders

In summary, if you have access to only one outer coil and you want to detect the presence of an inner coil, you would need to connect the inner coil to some circuit and resonance the coil with a capacitor. If the inner coil is connected to something, the simplest method would involve one outer coil and a stray field transformer. If the inner coil is open-ended, you are SOL for detection with an outside coil.
This calls for some experimentation. To an old-time radio engineer your steel pipe would provide your inner coil with splendid magnetic shielding, and to a first iteration it would do just that. If, however, you were able to provide an alternating magnetic field of sufficient magnitude to magnetically saturate your pipe, then the inner coil (which would not saturate magnetically) would feel that alternating magnetic field and produce some sort of signal in your outer coil.

All this is great except that you'll be looking for the tiniest of signals amid an enormous alternating field, and some exceptionally fancy electronics would likely be needed to filter out the slight distortions caused by the presence of your inner detector coil, and these would likely be swamped out by the hysteresis distortion of the waveform as it magnetically saturates your steel pipe.

Your essential task is to extract some sort of a signal from this assembly, but I don't think an electrical signal will be the best choice. I'd consider acoustics, for while you won't have access to the inner pipe after assembly you likely will be able to listen to the fluid flow down that pipe and also down the outer pipe.

If a single microphone is installed between the pipes you'd be able to hear the dam burst on that one. If you installed an additional microphone far upstream inside the inner pipe you'd be able to calculate the location of the break by measuring the time lapse between the inner mic's signal and the outer mic's signal. You'd need to know the speed of sound in the fluids involved.

Engineering news on Phys.org
discover66 said:
Summary:: If I have a coil inside a piece of steel pipe, can I detect it from outside of the pipe using a tuned transmitter / receiver array?

Just some idle Sunday musings. I have a steel pipe that is 2" ID, 2.5" OD, 10' long. I want to place a coil inside the pipe midpoint along the pipe and detect it's presence with a transmitter / receiver array. The array can consist of two coils wrapped around the outside of the pipe and can be adjacent to the inner coil.

Can I detect the inner coil?
Depends on whethe your steel is magnetic or not. Some types of stainless steel are nonmagnetic.

Averagesupernova said:
My latest idea: Forget about this thread. Too much info is coming too late. No good description from the get-go. My question has still not been answered, so I say what's the point?
I worked for the City of Seattle Engineering Department and we routinely located water, sewer, and natural gas piping as well as electrical conduits. No one I know has successfully tried your method. Iron is magnetic and blocks magnetic fields. There are non-magnetic steels that might work. Since you didn't specify the steel I'll assume you have no idea so its probably cast iron.

shjacks45 said:
Iron is magnetic and blocks magnetic fields. There are non-magnetic steels that might work

From a certain angle, it seems to block the magnetic field, but from another angle, its role is to guide the magnetic field to the inner coil wound on the inner pipe.

Therefore, if the OP cannot provide details, such as whether there will be a large non-magnetic conductive gap layer between the inner pipe and the outer pipe, the physical data of the relevant materials, and other necessary information, it is difficult to conduct a comprehensive feasibility assessment.

Last edited: