Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes

In summary: If all you care about are modes of interference of light waves, why not just use a waveguide?I suppose that's a fair point. However, I was thinking more about the detection side of things, and whether or not we can actually detect interference between light waves that are coming from opposite directions.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Is it possible (in principle) to make a very thin phtotodetector that has the same sensitivity with respect to light coming from either side, so that we can see interference between two light waves arriving from opposite sides?

That is, as we vary the relative phase shift between the right hand side and left hand side inputs, could we see the detection count increase and decrease? Of course, this would call for a detector thinner than a wavelength so that the phase difference would be nearly constant over the thickness. And we assume very good collimation with the beams perfectly normal to the detector surface.

I'd like to know if there is a fundamental reason that would make this impossible. And if there is no such reason, what technologies currently exist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear Moderators,
Please consider moving this back to Quantum Physics, because (although I didn't stress this in my post) one key consideration that affects the presence or absence of interference here is this : Can a detector be built, wherein events triggered by photons from the left and from the right are mutually indistinguishable events?. This particular aspect, of course, belongs squarely in quantum physics.

Thank you.

Last edited:
1. The quantum efficiency DROPS as you make the detector very thin.

2. Transmission photocathodes typically have lower QE than reflection photocathodes.

3. #1 and #2 together means that you are not guaranteed that you will get to detect "interference between two light waves arriving from opposite sides".

4. Besides, how would you even detect this within a photodetector? If they destructively interfered inside the detector, how is this different than no interaction, and no signal, from the photocathode?

5. What exactly is the aim of all this? What is being measured, and what is being tested here?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
What exactly is the aim of all this?
Yes, well, I guess my original post suffers from a confusion of different things that I was trying to get my head around, while in the process of thinking through a badly defined thought experiment (as I often tend to do, unfortunately).

Let me focus a bit more sharply on one point. Daendliker says (https://spie.org/etop/1999/193_1.pdf) the following:
- Modes are orthogonal; they do not interfere.
- Only the light (photons) within one and the same mode is coherent and does interfere (for identical polarization).

My question is, if the modes have the same phase profile but opposite directions of propagation, do they interfere? Of course, the photon efficiency would be low - but my question is whether the probability of detection (however low it may be) is a function of the local phase difference between the modes? If we think in terms of standing waves, it seems reasonable that events would occur with a higher probability at nodes rather than antinodes.

To me, this seems like it's about distinguishability. Can a photosensitive molecule, for example know which path the photon came through?

Last edited:
Swamp Thing said:
Yes, well, I guess my original post suffers from a confusion of different things that I was trying to get my head around, while in the process of thinking through a badly defined thought experiment (as I often tend to do, unfortunately).

Let me focus a bit more sharply on one point. Daendliker says (https://spie.org/etop/1999/193_1.pdf) the following:My question is, if the modes have the same phase profile but opposite directions of propagation, do they interfere? Of course, the photon efficiency would be low - but my question is whether the probability of detection (however low it may be) is a function of the local phase difference between the modes? If we think in terms of standing waves, it seems reasonable that events would occur with a higher probability at nodes rather than antinodes.

To me, this seems like it's about distinguishability. Can a photosensitive molecule, for example know which path the photon came through?

I still don't understand what you are hoping to accomplish here, and more importantly, why you think that this particular technique (using photodetector and figuring out what is happening INSIDE the detector) is the way to do this.

I don't quite understand whether you are talking about single-photon head-on interference, or if you actually just need coherent sources interfering from opposite direction of propagation. You DO know that practically all of the interference phenomena that we are familiar with are single-photon interference and not multi-photon interference, don't you? So I do not understand this issue of (i) having photons in opposite direction and (ii) how you think they will somehow and coincidentally bump into each other right in the very thin, transmissive photocathode that will have a very poor QE.

If all you care about are modes of interference of light waves, why not just use a waveguide?

Zz.

Related to Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes

What is detectable interference between counter-propagating modes?

Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes refers to the observable effects of the interaction between two waves traveling in opposite directions through a medium. This phenomenon is commonly observed in optics and acoustics, where the interference between waves can be detected and measured.

How does detectable interference between counter-propagating modes occur?

Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes occurs when two waves traveling in opposite directions interact with each other in a medium. This can happen when the waves are of the same frequency and have similar amplitudes, resulting in constructive or destructive interference depending on the phase relationship between the waves.

What are some examples of detectable interference between counter-propagating modes?

One example of detectable interference between counter-propagating modes is the Fabry-Perot interferometer, where two waves traveling in opposite directions through a cavity can produce a series of bright and dark fringes. Another example is the Mach-Zehnder interferometer, where two beams of light traveling in opposite directions through two arms of the interferometer can produce an interference pattern.

What are the applications of detectable interference between counter-propagating modes?

Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes has various applications in science and technology. It is used in interferometers for precision measurements, in fiber optics for signal processing, and in acoustics for noise cancellation. It is also utilized in devices such as lasers and optical filters.

How is detectable interference between counter-propagating modes measured?

Detectable interference between counter-propagating modes can be measured using various techniques such as interferometry, spectrometry, and diffraction. These methods involve detecting changes in the amplitude, phase, or frequency of the interacting waves, which can be analyzed to determine the presence and nature of the interference.