Detect Airflow + Regulate Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the development of an application involving a heating element and a ceramic crucible with airflow in and out. The goal is to only heat the crucible when airflow is detected and maintain the air temperature between 200-250C. Ideas for detecting airflow include using a thin plate or ripping apart a "Blu eCig". For temperature detection, options such as thermistors or thermal couplings are considered. The heating element is a NiChrome wire, but the input power has not been determined. The individual acknowledges that this task may be challenging and welcomes any resources or advice.
pst
Heyo, first post here...! Sorry for my English and I will reword anything if it is needed.
I've been struggling to solve this for a few days, please help me with some insight or intuition.

I have application with a a heating element leading to little ceramic crucible, there is an airflow in and airflow out of this crucible.
I need to...
A. Only heat the crucible when airflow is detected
B. Keep the temperature of the air within 200-250C

Extra info. I can think of...
-For airflow detection, I first thought about making a thin plate held down by gravity that would break a circuit whenever the air lifted the plate. I foresee the issue of the plate getting stuck in the "off" position and am not sure if it is still the best way to go. My immediate thought is to rip apart one "Blu eCig" and steal its secrets.

-For temperature detection, I think immediately of thermistors or thermal couplings but have no experience with them. Online reading does not give me a good idea of how to incorporate two of them for keeping air within a range.

-Heating element is a NiChrome wire and I have not yet solved what the input power will be.

Perhaps this assignment is too complex for me, but these are the only two things I cannot figure out. Thank you for all links to literature, advice, opinions.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Start by reading through http://www.nxp.com/documents/application_note/APPCHP6.pdf .

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Detect Airflow + Regulate Temperature

1. What is the purpose of detecting airflow and regulating temperature?

The purpose of detecting airflow and regulating temperature is to maintain a comfortable and safe environment, whether it is in a home, office, or any other space. It also helps to ensure that equipment and machinery are functioning properly and efficiently.

2. How does the detection of airflow and regulation of temperature work?

The detection of airflow and regulation of temperature usually involves sensors that measure the temperature and air pressure in a given space. These sensors then send this information to a control system, which adjusts the airflow and temperature accordingly. This can be done through the use of fans, vents, heaters, and air conditioning units.

3. Is it important to detect airflow and regulate temperature?

Yes, it is important to detect airflow and regulate temperature for various reasons. It helps to maintain a comfortable and healthy environment, prevents equipment and machinery from overheating, and can also save energy and reduce costs.

4. What factors can affect airflow and temperature regulation?

Several factors can affect airflow and temperature regulation, such as the size and layout of the space, the number of occupants, the type of equipment and machinery being used, and the weather conditions outside. It is essential to consider these factors when designing and implementing a detection and regulation system.

5. Are there any potential challenges in detecting airflow and regulating temperature?

Yes, there can be potential challenges in detecting airflow and regulating temperature, such as faulty sensors, incorrect readings, and malfunctions in the control system. It is crucial to regularly maintain and calibrate the system to ensure accurate readings and efficient operation.