Detailed and well explained Solid state textbook?

In summary, the book recommends Ashcroft and Mermin's book as a more detailed and in-depth text than Kittel.
Livethefire
Hey, I've done a search here on this forum as well as the internet and can't find very many detailed Solid State physics books reccomendations.

I am on a 3rd year class in solid state. The lectures are almost exclusively mathematics, as well as the notes. Id love for a book to follow the maths, to explain were it comes from basically... Its not really clear.

Book recommendations for the course were:

Kittel, Charles - Introduction to solid state physics / Charles Kittel
Which covered the basics good, but isn't as detailed in describing the maths- Or at least doesn't go into as much depth.

Elliott, S. R., Stephen Richard, 1952-. - The physics and chemistry of solids.
I haven't had a look at this one yet to be honest but its not the "main" book. Kittel appears to be the main book for the course.

Besides the basic Crystal lattices and reciprocal space etc (which I am fairly fine with) the topics which have been discussed mathematically in lectures were(so far):

Harmonic Oscillator
Phonons and heat capacity etc
Anharmonic effects
Fermi Gas
Thompson Fermi Screening
Bloch
Kronig Penny Model
Central equation
Weak periodic Pot.
Band gap

The list goes on. Each lecture is, as I've said, pages of maths. A bit more context and explanation of the math would be awesome:

Alot of the maths appears to be application of the schrodinger equation, Fourier analysis and application of to solve differential equations, bloch condition etc.

So naturally any reccomendations for books or sources would be amazing.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
A standard text which is considered detailed compared to Kittel's is Ashcroft & Mermin's:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0030839939/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It dates back to the 1970s but this shouldn't be a problem, since the basics are more or less the same. The price is relatively high, but second hand copies are available.

THanks, I picked one up in the library today, along with Princples of the theory of Solids Zimin.

Ill compare them and see what helps.

Related to Detailed and well explained Solid state textbook?

1. What is a solid state textbook?

A solid state textbook is a type of textbook that focuses on the study of solid materials, such as crystals, metals, and semiconductors. It covers topics such as crystal structure, properties of solids, and solid-state physics.

2. Why is it important to have a detailed and well explained solid state textbook?

A detailed and well explained solid state textbook is important because it provides a comprehensive understanding of the fundamental principles and concepts of solid-state physics, which is crucial for any further studies or research in this field. It also helps students to develop a strong foundation and problem-solving skills in this subject.

3. Who can benefit from using a solid state textbook?

Anyone with an interest in solid-state physics can benefit from using a solid state textbook. This includes students studying materials science, physics, engineering, and chemistry, as well as researchers and professionals working in industries that involve solid materials.

4. What can I expect to learn from a detailed and well explained solid state textbook?

A detailed and well explained solid state textbook covers a wide range of topics, including crystal structure, crystal growth, defects in crystals, mechanical and thermal properties of solids, electronic properties of solids, and optical properties of solids. It also provides real-world applications and examples to help readers understand the concepts better.

5. What are some recommended detailed and well explained solid state textbooks?

Some popular and highly recommended solid state textbooks include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Materials Science and Engineering: An Introduction" by William D. Callister Jr. and David G. Rethwisch. It is always best to consult with your professor or colleagues for their recommendations as well.