Destructive Interference of two waves

In summary, when two sinusoidal pulses with kinetic and potential energy meet and experience destructive interference, the point where they meet has no crest or trough due to the energy being purely kinetic. This can be explained by imagining the point of interference as a fixed end, causing the pulses to reflect and invert without any change in the properties of the medium. However, this explanation is not entirely rigorous and is more of a helpful way of understanding the phenomenon.
SDewan
On a single long string, two sinusoidal pulses are started from either end. They have a destructive interference.
Both the pulses have kinetic as well as potential energy. Now the point at which they meet, there being a destructive interference, no crest or trough is formed. But right after that, they seem to have continued their initial respective motions.
My doubt: Where does their energy go at this point? How does it come back right after this point?
Solve my problem, please.
Thanks
SD

Science news on Phys.org
SDewan said:
Where does their energy go at this point?
It is all KE at that point.

Please elucidate

"No crest or trough" means that the position of the string is all 0, the equilibrium position. But the string is not at rest, it is moving. Therefore it has KE.

Likes SDewan
Intuition suggests that the energy is purely kinetic. But to explain this phenomena to myself I took the following view: Consider the point where the two pulses meet to be a fixed end. The pulse coming from the left gets reflected and also inverted, same with the other pulse. So while it appears to us as if the pulses have passed each other unscathed they actually are reflected and inverted.
I don't know how correct this is but it does provide some reasoning.

Last edited:
You can imagine that they reflect but this is inconsistent with general reflection behavior. Reflection happens when you have a change in the properties of the medium.
So why would you have reflection in the middle of a homogeneous string? There is no interface or discontinuity there.

nasu said:
You can imagine that they reflect but this is inconsistent with general reflection behavior. Reflection happens when you have a change in the properties of the medium.
So why would you have reflection in the middle of a homogeneous string? There is no interface or discontinuity there.
Yeah I get that.. That's why I said this wouldn't be a rigorous explanation, rather just a helpful way of thinking about it.

Related to Destructive Interference of two waves

What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference is a phenomenon that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in overall amplitude or intensity.

How does destructive interference occur?

Destructive interference occurs when the crests of one wave line up with the troughs of another wave, causing the two waves to cancel each other out.

What are the effects of destructive interference?

The effects of destructive interference depend on the amplitude and frequency of the waves involved. In some cases, the waves may cancel each other out completely, resulting in no observable wave. In other cases, the amplitude or intensity of the resulting wave may be significantly reduced.

Can destructive interference be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, destructive interference can be controlled or manipulated by adjusting the amplitude, frequency, or phase of the waves involved. This is often used in noise-cancelling technology, where sound waves are deliberately cancelled out to reduce unwanted noise.

What are some real-life examples of destructive interference?

Some examples of destructive interference in everyday life include noise-cancelling headphones, anti-reflective coatings on glasses and camera lenses, and the cancellation of sound waves in concert halls to improve acoustics.