Destination Points in Harmonic Sequences

In summary, the pattern of the harmonic sequence will continue for all values of the sequence, and a destination point will be reached for any value of θ where 0 ≤ θ < 2𝜋. This function can be found using complex numbers to calculate the limit point, which can be expressed as a series. The graph of the limit points can be seen, and it also contains the Leibniz series for θ = π/2 and the Alternating harmonic series for θ = π.
wheepep
View attachment 6244

The pattern above will continue for all values of the harmonic sequence.

Will a destination point be reached for any value of θ where 0 ≤ θ < 2𝜋?

(I know it won’t for θ = 0)

Is there a function which contains the set of all destination points?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.05.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-11-29 at 7.05.10 PM.png
    6 KB · Views: 112
Mathematics news on Phys.org
wheepep said:
The pattern above will continue for all values of the harmonic sequence.

Will a destination point be reached for any value of θ where 0 ≤ θ < 2𝜋?

(I know it won’t for θ = 0)

Is there a function which contains the set of all destination points?
The answer is Yes. If $0<\theta<2\pi$ then the path will converge to a limit point, which you can find by using complex numbers.

The limit point will be the sum of the series $1 + \tfrac12e^{i\theta} + \tfrac13e^{2i\theta} + \tfrac14e^{3i\theta} + \ldots$. You can sum that series using the power series expansion $\log(1-x) = -x - \frac12x^2 - \frac13x^3 - \ldots$, like this: $$\begin{aligned}1 + \tfrac12e^{i\theta} + \tfrac13e^{2i\theta} + \tfrac14e^{3i\theta} + \ldots &= e^{-i\theta}\sum_1^\infty\frac{e^{in\theta}}n \\ &= -e^{-i\theta}\log\bigl(1 - e^{i\theta}\bigr) \\ &= -e^{-i\theta}\log(1 - \cos\theta - i\sin\theta) \\ &= -e^{-i\theta}\log\bigl( 2\sin^2\tfrac\theta2 - 2i\sin\tfrac\theta2\cos\tfrac\theta2 \bigr) \\ &= -e^{-i\theta}\log\Bigl(2\sin\tfrac\theta2 \cdot e^{i(\theta - \pi)/2}\Bigr) \\ &= (-\cos\theta + i\sin\theta) \bigl(\log \bigl( 2\sin\tfrac\theta2\bigr) + i\tfrac12(\theta - \pi)\bigr) \end{aligned}$$ In terms of coordinates, this shows that your "destination point" is the point $$\Bigl(-\cos\theta\log \bigl( 2\sin\tfrac\theta2\bigr) + \tfrac12(\pi - \theta)\sin\theta\,,\, \sin\theta\log \bigl( 2\sin\tfrac\theta2\bigr) + \tfrac12(\pi - \theta)\cos\theta \Bigr).$$ That looks complicated. But I think it is probably correct because it gives the right result $(\log2,0)$ when $\theta = \pi$. (In that case, the series just becomes $1-\frac12 + \frac13 - \ldots$, which converges to $\log2$ on the real axis.)

If you are asking for a function that has this set of points as its graph, I think you can see that this would be a pretty hard problem. (Worried)

That's great. Thanks!

Hey wheepep! ;)

Here's the graph of the limit points based on Opalg's formula:

\begin{tikzpicture}
%preamble \usepackage{pgfplots}
\begin{axis}[xmin=0, grid=both, axis lines=middle, axis equal, xlabel=$x$, ylabel=$y$]
\addplot[ultra thick, red, domain=0:3.142, variable=t, samples=51]
( {-cos(deg(t))*ln(2*sin(deg(t/2)))+1/2*(pi-t)*sin(deg(t))},
{sin(deg(t))*ln(2*sin(deg(t/2)))+1/2*(pi-t)*cos(deg(t))} );
\addplot[red, mark=ball] coordinates {({pi/4}, {ln(2)/2})} node[above left] {$\theta=\pi/2$};
\addplot[red, mark=ball] coordinates {(ln(2), 0)} node[above left] {$\theta=\pi$};
\end{axis}
\end{tikzpicture}

In particular we can see that Leibniz series is also in there for $\theta=\frac\pi 2$ with $x=1-\frac 13 + \frac 15 - ... =\frac \pi 4$.
That limit point has $y=\frac 12 - \frac 14 + \frac 16 - ... = \frac 12(1-\frac 12 +\frac 13 - ...)= \frac 12 \ln 2$, which is half of the Alternating harmonic series.

Related to Destination Points in Harmonic Sequences

1. What are destination points in harmonic sequences?

Destination points in harmonic sequences refer to the specific values that a sequence of numbers converges to as the sequence continues to infinity. These points are also known as limiting points or limiting values.

2. How do you calculate destination points in harmonic sequences?

To calculate the destination points in a harmonic sequence, you need to first find the common ratio of the sequence. Then, you can use the formula a/(1-r), where a is the first term of the sequence and r is the common ratio, to find the destination point.

3. What is the significance of destination points in harmonic sequences?

The destination points in harmonic sequences are important because they represent the ultimate outcome of the sequence. They help us understand the behavior and patterns of the sequence as it approaches infinity.

4. Can there be more than one destination point in a harmonic sequence?

Yes, a harmonic sequence can have multiple destination points if the sequence is divergent or if the common ratio is equal to 1. In these cases, the sequence does not converge to a single value, but rather to a set of values.

5. How are destination points in harmonic sequences related to the Golden Ratio?

The Golden Ratio, also known as phi, is a special number that is closely related to destination points in harmonic sequences. When the common ratio of a harmonic sequence is equal to phi, the sequence will have a unique destination point that is equal to phi.