Designing Titanium Carbon Uprights for racecar

In summary: I wonder, would the opposite gain you anything (CF w/ Ti coating)? The titanium could offer flexibility, and a greater resistance to impact forces (may be applicable in a racing situation), while allowing the overall structure to be lighter weight than straight Ti.In my estimation the only thing a coating on a CF component gets you is more abrasion resistance; no need for that to be titanium though it could be any number of abrasion-resistant materials (aluminum or HDPE for example).
blixxa
Hello,

For my University project I am trying to design uprights for a race car. Currently we are using TIG welded 4130, I am trying to push the Titanium carbon direction.

I have many questions!

The idea of the upright is to use a titanium core (manufacture from laser sintering) then skin it with carbon fiber. This should mean the core will have good compressive strenght and the skin will have a high tensile strenght.

One of the quierys I have is what the structure of the core should look like. The sintering machine can do a repeated pattern to build up a 3d object, What is the best pattern for the core? I was thinking a honey comb structure.

Please help,

Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What makes you think titanium and carbon are a good match mechanically? High-strength Titanium alloys have high yield strengths, and relatively low density and elastic modulus. This means they tend to bend farther than steel for a given force but have a high strength to weight ratio compared to steel. carbon fiber composites on the other hand have very high modulus or elasticity and high ultimate strength; they bend very little under force but tend to fail catastrophically when pushed to the limit.

My thinking is if you want a very light and strong structure, just go with straight carbon fiber or maybe a carbon-fiber composite paired with some other high strength fiber like kevlar. Adding the titanium core in the middle isn't gaining you anything a novel geometry can't (or even just alunimum or magnesium which are lighter), and the dissimilarities between the materials will play havoc with bonding and thermal expansion.

I agree with Mech_Engineer on using straight carbon fiber instead.

carbo-titanium alloys have been around for a while, but are scarcely used because of their high cost and bonding problems. NASA did a study on this back in the 70's, but I am unsure what the results were.

If you do decide to do it, then yes the honeycomb pattern will do just fine.

BTown said:
...carbo-titanium alloys have been around for a while...

When you say "carbo-titanium alloys" do you mean composites or alloys? If composites, do such composites use alternating meshes of CF and Ti or do they utilize a bulk Ti base with CF surface layering?

Mech_Engineer said:
When you say "carbo-titanium alloys" do you mean composites or alloys? If composites, do such composites use alternating meshes of CF and Ti or do they utilize a bulk Ti base with CF surface layering?

I was referring to a composite with alternating meshes. Reading the initial post again, I realize that this is not what blixxa was referring to. Apologies...

Nonetheless, I still would be a strong advocate of straight CF as you suggested, especially considering the application.

BTown said:
I was referring to a composite with alternating meshes.

That's what I thought as well. Carbon-fiber composites can have different alternating meshes in it to gain certain required performance characteristics (for example layering with Invar to reduce thermal expansion), but I don't know about "coating" a part in carbon fiber like the OP is proposing. I suspect he thinks CF composites are inherently weak in compression, but that depends more on the layer angles, resin matrix, and the direction the force is applied w.r.t. the geometry and composite matrix.

When it comes down to it, the large mismatch in modulus of elasticity between CF and Ti make what the OP is proposing a bad idea; the portion that deflects the least will take the majority of the force in tension or compression. In the end, the design would end up something like a bad combination of a bimetallic strip and statically indeterminate structure.

Last edited:
Mech_Engineer said:
When it comes down to it, the large mismatch in modulus of elasticity between CF and Ti make what the OP is proposing a bad idea; the potion that deflects the least will take the majority of the force in tension or compression. In the end, the design would end up something like a bad combination of a bimetallic strip and statically indeterminite structure.

Exactly, and going back to your original post, the titanium effectively doesn't buy you anything except a few extra pounds, which is definitely something to be avoided for a racing vehicle.

I wonder, would the opposite gain you anything (CF w/ Ti coating)? The titanium could offer flexibility, and a greater resistance to impact forces (may be applicable in a racing situation), while allowing the overall structure to be lighter weight than straight Ti.

In my estimation the only thing a coating on a CF component gets you is more abrasion resistance; no need for that to be titanium though it could be any number of abrasion-resistant materials (aluminum or HDPE for example).

LOTS of race vehicles utilize all sorts of carbon-fiber components. Usually the only thing in a race car's chassis that can't be made out of CF is the roll cage for toughness and energy absorption concerns.

Mech_Engineer said:
...no need for that to be titanium though it could be any number of abrasion-resistant materials (aluminum or HDPE for example)...

Good point, a much more cost effective solution as well, especially considering the large variety of Al alloys out there now (prefer 6061 T6 myself, but not sure of how it performs when acting as a coating).

Related to Designing Titanium Carbon Uprights for racecar

What are the benefits of using titanium carbon uprights for racecars?

Titanium carbon uprights offer several benefits for racecars. They are lightweight, strong, and have excellent fatigue resistance, making them ideal for high-performance vehicles. They also have a high stiffness-to-weight ratio, which improves handling and overall performance. Additionally, titanium carbon uprights have superior corrosion resistance, which can extend the lifespan of the racecar.

How are titanium carbon uprights designed for racecars?

The design of titanium carbon uprights for racecars involves a combination of computer-aided design (CAD) and finite element analysis (FEA). CAD software is used to create a 3D model of the upright, which is then analyzed using FEA to ensure that it can withstand the stresses and forces experienced during racing. The design is also optimized for weight reduction and aerodynamics.

What are the challenges in designing titanium carbon uprights for racecars?

One of the main challenges in designing titanium carbon uprights for racecars is balancing strength and weight. The material must be strong enough to withstand the forces of racing, but also lightweight to improve performance. Another challenge is ensuring that the design is optimized for different tracks and driving conditions, as well as meeting regulations set by racing organizations.

How are titanium carbon uprights manufactured for racecars?

The manufacturing process for titanium carbon uprights involves several steps. First, the titanium and carbon fiber materials are cut and shaped into the desired form using specialized tools and techniques. The pieces are then bonded together using advanced adhesives or joined using techniques such as welding. Finally, the uprights are heat treated and finished to improve strength and durability.

What are the advantages of using titanium carbon uprights over traditional materials?

Compared to traditional materials such as steel or aluminum, titanium carbon uprights offer several advantages for racecars. They are significantly lighter, which can improve acceleration, braking, and overall performance. They also have a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making them more durable and resistant to fatigue. Additionally, titanium carbon uprights have better vibration damping properties, which can improve handling and driver comfort.