Designing Refraction Lab to Prove Critical Angle Equation

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on designing a refraction lab using a laser and a rectangular container filled with water. They plan to rotate the angle at which the laser is shone through the container and record the critical angle for five different substances. They also propose plotting ni vs sin(r) to prove the equation for the critical angle. However, there is a major problem with their setup and they need to modify it in order to observe the critical angle correctly.
kf00zy
I am trying to design a refraction lab involving the critical angle and I have an idea but I'm not sure if it is good or, for lack of a better word, stupid. Here it is:
Using a laser and a rectangular container filled with water, I will shine the laser at the container and rotate the angle at which I shine it through. Then I will record the angle at which the laser no longer goes all the way through but reflects, or the critical angle. I will do this for 5 different substances with different indexes of refraction.
Looking at the equation ni sin(i) = nr sin(r), I can plot ni vs sin(r), where r is the measured critical angles, because ni is air which is about 1. Then, the slope of this graph will be equal to sin(i). The slope is equal to 1 making the angle i 90 and proving the equation for the critical angle.

I'm pretty sure the math is correct but overall, is this a nice lab proving a know equation or is stated in the definition of the critical angle that that angle is 90 and therefore this is a, for lack of a better word, stupid lab.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a major problem with your setup. I'll give you two clues. First, critical angle is only observed going from higher optical density to lower. Second, if the walls of container are parallel, the light will exit the container under the same angle the light entered the container.

You need to modify your setup if you wish to observe critical angle.

If you want the refractive index of liquid with respect to air you should think about shining the light through the liquid to emerge from the liquid/air surface.
This means shining the laser through the bottom of the container.

Related to Designing Refraction Lab to Prove Critical Angle Equation

1. What is the purpose of designing a refraction lab to prove the critical angle equation?

The purpose of this lab is to demonstrate the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction when light passes through a boundary between two different mediums. This will help us understand the concept of critical angle and its importance in optics.

2. What materials are needed to conduct this lab?

To conduct this lab, you will need a light source, a protractor, a ruler, a glass block or prism, and a medium with a different refractive index than the glass block (such as water or oil).

3. How is the critical angle equation used in this lab?

The critical angle equation is used to calculate the angle of incidence at which light passing through a boundary between two mediums will be refracted at an angle of 90 degrees (also known as the critical angle). This equation is used to verify the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction observed in the lab.

4. What are the steps involved in conducting this lab?

The steps involved in conducting this lab include setting up the materials, shining a light ray through the glass block into the second medium at different angles of incidence, measuring the angles of incidence and refraction, and using the critical angle equation to calculate the critical angle. The data collected can then be plotted on a graph to visually represent the relationship between the angles.

5. What are some potential sources of error in this lab?

Some potential sources of error in this lab include inaccuracies in measuring angles, variations in the refractive index of the medium, and external factors such as air currents that may affect the path of the light ray. It is important to take multiple measurements and average them to minimize errors and ensure accurate results.