Designing physics experiment (vibration)

In summary: I think I need something with a bit more oomph. Sounds like you will need to find a way to amplify the vibrations before you can send them through the rod. You could look into using speakers or an oscillatory motor to generate the vibrations. Good luck with your project!In summary, the individual is designing a machine to observe sound wave properties and is seeking information on how to produce frequencies. They have considered using a tuning fork, but recognize that it has a limited frequency range. They also want to be able to produce chromatic scales. They have attempted to use an apparatus with their guitar amplifier, but found it to be insufficient. They need something with more power to produce the desired frequencies.
Gregathon
Hello all,

I'll start by explaining that this is my first post, and I have very little engineering and mechanical knowledge. I am currently completing my phd in neuroscience so the purpose of this post is to seek information to indulge in some of my hobbies :)

I am designing a machine with which I plan to observe sound wave properties. It is important to me that these observations come from a live model, rather than using software replication.

Putting it simply, I want a vertical rod (metal, between 1-2ft long, 1/4inch diameter) to vibrate. I would like to be able to control the frequency as well. I have brainstormed ideas involving oscillatory motors or by use of speakers.

I am currently learning welding techniques and have access to tools for cutting as well. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

What frequencies are you looking to produce? What you are describing sounds like just a big tuning fork, but recognize that a tuning fork has one natural frequency that is dependent on its size and material properties. So there are will be some limitations on the frequencies you can easily produce unless you are willing to change the properties. You could, for example, clamp the bar to change its length for different frequencies -- think of it like a guitar but with a solid string.

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

What frequencies are you looking to produce? What you are describing sounds like just a big tuning fork, but recognize that a tuning fork has one natural frequency that is dependent on its size and material properties. So there are will be some limitations on the frequencies you can easily produce unless you are willing to change the properties. You could, for example, clamp the bar to change its length for different frequencies -- think of it like a guitar but with a solid string.

Great consideration, thank you! That all makes sense. Since this project is still very preliminary, I would like to imagine something like a motor in which I may have the ability to remove the rod, replacing it with another of the same size (but different material). The rod itself will connect to other objects, however that portion of the project is not my priority at this point.

As far as which frequencies I desire to send through the rod..

I want to be able to emulate chromatic scales. It would be fantastic to be able to measure in Hz, say I want 440 passing through, providing me with an A. For example, being able to go A to G in a single octave, or being able to produce A in 6 different octaves. I would need to do more research into what materials to use.

I already tried using an apparatus in conjunction with my 30 watt guitar amplifier, working purely on sending the vibration through the rod, and having precise control over "what" the sound was. It was not strong enough for my purposes.

Related to Designing physics experiment (vibration)

1. What is the purpose of designing a physics experiment on vibration?

The purpose of designing a physics experiment on vibration is to study the behavior and characteristics of vibrations in various systems. This can help us understand how vibrations affect different objects and how they can be controlled or utilized for practical applications.

2. How do you choose the variables to be tested in a vibration experiment?

The variables to be tested in a vibration experiment are typically chosen based on the specific question or hypothesis being investigated. These may include the amplitude, frequency, or type of vibration, as well as the material or structure being tested.

3. What equipment is needed for a vibration experiment?

The equipment needed for a vibration experiment may include a vibration generator, sensors to measure vibrations, a data acquisition system, and a computer for data analysis. Depending on the experiment, additional equipment such as springs, masses, or damping materials may also be needed.

4. How do you ensure accurate and precise measurements in a vibration experiment?

To ensure accurate and precise measurements in a vibration experiment, it is important to calibrate all equipment before use and to carefully follow experimental procedures. It is also important to minimize external factors that could affect the measurements, such as air currents or vibrations from other sources.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a vibration experiment?

Potential sources of error in a vibration experiment may include measurement errors, environmental factors, or limitations of the equipment. It is important to identify and address these potential sources of error to ensure the validity and reliability of the experimental results.