Designing Aluminum Square Tube Table Legs for 90kg Load Support

In summary, designing the dimensions of square tubing for table legs involves determining the load distribution and resultant forces, calculating induced stresses, and comparing them to desired failure criteria. It is important to consider potential dynamic forces and real design load cases, as well as the stiffness of the table. Adding a safety factor of 50% and accounting for lateral forces and corner bracing can help ensure the stability and strength of the table. Consult with tubing salespeople or manufacturers for information on material capabilities.
cabellos
table leg design...

Suppose i want to make 4 table legs from aluminium square tube...how should I go about designing the dimensions of the square tube? The table itself needs to support a load of 90kg through the four legs.

Help on this would be very much appreciated.

Cabellos

Engineering news on Phys.org
The tubing sales people, or at least the manufacturer, can tell you what sort of forces various ones can handle. Then just divide the total weight of the table by 4 to see what size you need to handle it. I'd add at least 50% to the estimated table weight as a safety factor and to compensate for any weakness introduced through your work on it, such as mounting holes. It will also have to stand up to lateral forces, particularly at the attachment points, in case the table gets pushed sideways.

Metal product manufacturers are most likely not going to tell you anything other than material allowables. They won't tell you anything in regards to how much of a load something will allow. That is the designer's job to calculate.

You need to determine the load distribution and the resultant forces on each leg. You need to then calculate the stresses induced based on an initial guess of what the cross section will look like. These will be combined stresses that include the bending moments as well as compressive stresses and buckling. Compare the calculated stresses to your desired failure criteria and revise the design until the stresses are below the desired levels.

Danger said:
I'd add at least 50% to the estimated table weight as a safety factor...

I would also add about 600 lb, to handle the case when a 300lb man stands on top of the table to change a light bulb or whatever (double the weight of the man to allow for the dynamic stresses when he gets on and off the table). Best to assume all that force goes down one leg, if he is standing on the corner of the table...

Finding the REAL design load cases is the first important step in any stress analysis!

FredGarvin said:
Metal product manufacturers are most likely not going to tell you anything other than material allowables. They won't tell you anything in regards to how much of a load something will allow.
:confused: Strange... I've never had any trouble with the local machine shop, where I buy raw stock, advising me as to exactly what sort of material I would need for a particular project (and it's an engineering firm, not just toolies). Maybe it's the difference of living in a small town.

AlephZero said:
I would also add about 600 lb, to handle the case when a 300lb man stands on top of the table to change a light bulb or whatever (double the weight of the man to allow for the dynamic stresses when he gets on and off the table). Best to assume all that force goes down one leg, if he is standing on the corner of the table...

Finding the REAL design load cases is the first important step in any stress analysis!
I can see why you're not the one who took over my comedy badge this year. Cabellos isn't building a freeway flyover here; with a 90kg load, it's something like an entertainment unit or a cot. While I don't for a second dispute that your expertise in this matter far exceeds mine, I can also will full confidence say that on this scale 50% over-building has never failed me. Also on this scale, that amount of over-building adds very little to the cost.

Danger said:
Cabellos isn't building a freeway flyover here; with a 90kg load, it's something like an entertainment unit or a cot...
I can also will full confidence say that on this scale 50% over-building has never failed me. Also on this scale, that amount of over-building adds very little to the cost.

Well, I wasn't trying to be funny (serious, but not solemn...)

Whatever it was designed for, if somebody can climb on top of it you can guarantee that somebody will climb on top of it, and will probably sue you if it breaks and damages their anatomy.

But you are quite right, the dimensions of an aluminum leg to take a 600 lb load are small (a 1/4 in diameter solid Al rod would be way over designed) so that is not a constraint on the design.

The point I was trying to make is you need to find the real constraints on the design, and "self weight" is not what matters. If it was my table (or whatever it is) I would be more concerned about its stiffness than its strength, for example - especially in the "sideways" direction.

Yeah, that last bit would be more of a concern to me as well. That's what I meant by my last statement in my first response, but I didn't express it properly. In regard to that, I would personally put more emphasis on corner bracing than actual leg material as the solution.

Related to Designing Aluminum Square Tube Table Legs for 90kg Load Support

1. How important is the stability of a table leg design?

The stability of a table leg design is crucial, as it directly affects the overall stability and balance of the table. A poorly designed or unstable table leg can cause the table to wobble or even collapse, leading to potential accidents or damage.

2. What materials are commonly used for table leg design?

Some common materials for table leg design include wood, metal, and plastic. Each material has its own advantages and disadvantages, such as wood being more aesthetically pleasing but prone to warping, while metal is more durable but can be heavier and more expensive.

3. How do you determine the appropriate height for table legs?

The typical height for a standard dining table is around 30 inches, but the height can vary depending on the purpose of the table. For example, a coffee table may be lower, while a standing desk may be taller. It is important to consider the comfort and functionality of the table when determining the appropriate leg height.

4. What are some factors to consider when designing a table leg?

Some factors to consider when designing a table leg include the weight and size of the table, the type of material, the intended use of the table, and the overall aesthetic of the table. It is important to balance functionality, stability, and design when creating a table leg.

5. Are there any specific design techniques for improving the stability of table legs?

Yes, there are various design techniques that can improve the stability of table legs. These include using thicker or wider legs for heavier tables, incorporating cross-bracing or diagonal supports, and using adjustable feet to level the table on uneven surfaces. Additionally, choosing a sturdy and well-balanced design can also improve the stability of table legs.