Designing a Switch for XT90 Battery Connectors on Drones

In summary, the best way to create a switch for a battery connected to a drone via XT90 connection would be to use a high-current rated switch and a fuse in series. The switch should be rated for the current and voltage of the battery and should also be compatible with the XT90 connection type. This will help prevent any potential damage to the equipment.
shakystew
I have a battery that connects to a drone via XT90 connection male/females. I want to make a switch to keep the current from transferring to the drone from the battery until I say so (i.e. a physical on/off switch). What would be the best way to do this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best way to do this would be to use a high-current rated switch between the battery and drone. The switch should be rated for the current and voltage of the battery, and should also be rated to handle the XT90 connection type. You may also want to use a fuse in series with the switch so that if the current draw of the drone exceeds the switch's rating, the fuse will blow instead. This will help protect your equipment from any potential damage.

Related to Designing a Switch for XT90 Battery Connectors on Drones

1. What is an XT90 Connector?

An XT90 Connector is a type of electrical connector commonly used in RC (radio-controlled) vehicles and other high-power applications. It is designed to handle high currents up to 90 amps and has a distinctive shape with a bullet-shaped male pin and a cup-shaped female socket.

2. What is the switch problem with XT90 Connectors?

The switch problem with XT90 Connectors refers to a common issue where the switch inside the connector becomes loose or disconnected, causing a loss of power to the device. This can happen due to wear and tear, improper use, or poor quality of the connector.

3. How can I fix the switch problem with XT90 Connectors?

The best way to fix the switch problem with XT90 Connectors is to replace the connector with a new one. You can also try tightening the switch inside the connector using a small screwdriver or pliers. If the problem persists, it is best to seek professional help.

4. How can I prevent the switch problem with XT90 Connectors?

To prevent the switch problem with XT90 Connectors, make sure to use high-quality connectors and handle them with care. Avoid pulling or twisting the connector while it is plugged in, and do not exceed the recommended current rating for your device.

5. Can the switch problem with XT90 Connectors be dangerous?

Yes, the switch problem with XT90 Connectors can be dangerous as it can cause a loss of power to the device, potentially leading to accidents or damage to the device. It is important to regularly check and maintain your connectors to ensure they are functioning properly.