Designing a rectangular vacuum chamber -- Help please

In summary, the chamber may work but it is not guaranteed and you may need to make modifications to ensure stability.
olgkd123
Hello everyone! I want to design a rectangle vacuum chamber (12x12x72) out of 1/2 steel. I would be welding the sides together to form a seal. Would this work? any suggestions on what I could do? Thx! (I not great at this stuff so your help is much appreciated!)

Engineering news on Phys.org
olgkd123 said:
Hello everyone! I want to design a rectangle vacuum chamber (12x12x72) out of 1/2 steel. I would be welding the sides together to form a seal. Would this work? any suggestions on what I could do? Thx! (I not great at this stuff so your help is much appreciated!)
Welcome to the PF.

What is the chamber for? What pressure will you be pumping it down to? Can you put in additional structural braces between the sides in the middle of the chamber? What experience do you have working with vacuum systems?

I am doing a project where I need the space in the middle of the chamber to be empty. I never made/ worked with a vacuum chamber myself, but I know the basics. I was hoping to go low, but I don't know how low I can go. I will be placing a mag lev system inside where I will be testing "The effect of air density on magnetic acceleration. Thx, please ask for any info you need, sorry for not giving it.

Won't the potentially large effect of the massive steel chamber on the maglev system swamp any tiny effect from reducing air pressure ?

Nidum said:
Won't the potentially large effect of the massive steel chamber on the maglev system swamp any tiny effect from reducing air pressure ?
i will be using austenitic stainless steel

That may ease the problem a little but not eliminate it .

You will find it useful to research vacuum chamber technology generally .

What about looking at large diameter round tubing as specifically made for vacuum chambers ? Choice of materials available includes metals , Glass and Acrylic .

Related to Designing a rectangular vacuum chamber -- Help please

1. What is the purpose of a rectangular vacuum chamber?

A rectangular vacuum chamber is used to create and maintain a low pressure environment for various scientific experiments and processes. This is achieved by removing air and other gases from the chamber, creating a vacuum.

2. What materials should be used to construct a rectangular vacuum chamber?

The materials used to construct a rectangular vacuum chamber should have low outgassing rates, be able to withstand high vacuum levels, and be non-reactive with the substances being used in the chamber. Common materials include stainless steel, aluminum, and glass.

3. What factors should be considered when designing a rectangular vacuum chamber?

Some key factors to consider when designing a rectangular vacuum chamber include the desired vacuum level, the size and shape of the chamber, the type of materials being used, and the required sealing and pumping systems.

4. How can leaks be prevented in a rectangular vacuum chamber?

Proper sealing techniques and materials, such as O-rings and gaskets, can help prevent leaks in a rectangular vacuum chamber. It is also important to regularly test and maintain the seals to ensure they are still functioning properly.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when using a rectangular vacuum chamber?

It is important to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when working with a rectangular vacuum chamber. Some key precautions include wearing appropriate protective gear, understanding the potential hazards of the materials being used, and properly venting the chamber before opening it.