Designing a Race Track Circuit Diagram for 3 Cars

• Thread starter ladydarkness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race Track
In summary, the conversation discusses designing and building a digital circuit for a three car race track with sensors and LED indicators. The circuit must be able to accurately indicate the placement of each car as they cross the finish line and have a reset button to extinguish all lit LEDs. The participants discuss using monostable multivibrators, RS flip-flops, and gating chips to design a 3x3 matrix of FFs, with a 2 bit binary counter to track the placements. They also mention potential issues with using counters and suggest an alternative approach using multiple pulses to write and enable rows of FFs. They discuss sketching out the logic and potential improvements.
ladydarkness
:cry: Alright I need help drawing the diagram... I know what I'm doing and a lot of the information but I need help with the diagram.

A three car race track has sensors in each lane at the finish line. As the cars cross the finish line their respective sensors respond and send a signal to a digital circut. The three "finish" signals occur in the same order that the cars finish in. The digital circut has a 3x3 matrix of nine LED's which indicate the placement of each car.

You're hired by the race track committee to design and build a digital circut that will operate as described above.

The LED indicators must be laid out as shown on the picture.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/595/racetrackproblemkr7.jpg

A push button resets the circut and extinguishes all lit LED's.

Design Hints:

*The signals from the track sensors are 10mS HIGH pulses. One pulse per race.

*Each LED is lit by an R.S. flip-flop.

*A two bit binary counter will start at zero and be incremented every time any track pulse occurs.

*Gating circuts are advised

*remember, each track signal only appears for every race

I figured that I will need:

3 monostable multivibrators

97474 RS Flip-Flops

1 7476 gating chip

so just so you don't think that I'm just trying to get pple to d my homework... I need helping drawing this.. I know what I am talking about but when it comes to putting it on paper I appear to be useless...

I've been trying to figure this out with logic and common sense but this is what I think..

I would suppose from the selection of chips needed that what I should build a matrix of 3 x 3 FF's. What I would do is to use the 7476 as a 2 bit counter, representing the placement. For each placement 0 - 2, you must decode this to a data bit for the placement row. Each car clock all 3 FF's in its column, reading the placement, and increment the counter.

Ths way I clock the current position into the FF's for each car.

Decoding the counter to make a running '1' is fairly easy just AND the /Q's for the first(placement 1), and then use Q1 and Q2 for the other 2(placement 2 and 3).

The only thing I need to do then is to combine the 3 clocks into one signal for incrementing the counter.

and I think the one shots are for Cleaning up the car signals and shortening them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, there are several real-world issues with the problem statement, including potential ties and FF metastability. But ignoring those for a moment, is there maybe an easier way to do this than with counters? Like, if the first pulse in turns on the respective FF and enables the 2nd row for writing. Then the 2nd pulse writes the 2nd row FF and enables the 3rd row for writing. Reset clears all FFs and enables the first row for lighting.

Can you sketch out some logic that would perform the function in that way? Then after sketching it that way, can you see any potential problems with that approach? If so, what improvements can you come up with.

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for reaching out for assistance with your project. It seems like you have a good understanding of the components needed for your race track circuit. I would suggest starting by drawing a block diagram of the circuit, showing the flow of signals and how each component is connected. This will help you visualize the overall design and make it easier to draw the circuit diagram.

Next, you can start by drawing the three monostable multivibrators and the 7474 RS flip-flops. Make sure to label all the inputs and outputs of each component. Then, you can draw the 3x3 matrix of LED's and connect them to the output of the flip-flops. Remember to label each LED with its corresponding placement (1, 2, or 3).

For the 7476 gating chip, you can draw it separately and show how it is connected to the flip-flops and the reset button. Make sure to label all the inputs and outputs of the chip as well.

It might also be helpful to draw the signals from the track sensors and the clock signal for the counter on your diagram. This will make it easier to see how everything is connected and how the signals flow through the circuit.

I hope these suggestions will help you create a clear and accurate diagram for your race track circuit. Keep in mind the design hints provided and make sure to double check your connections before building the actual circuit. Good luck with your project!

Related to Designing a Race Track Circuit Diagram for 3 Cars

1. How do you determine the length of the race track for 3 cars?

The length of the race track for 3 cars is typically determined by calculating the total distance each car will need to travel during the race. This can be done by considering the number of laps, the average speed of the cars, and any additional factors such as curves and turns. A longer race track will require more planning and strategy, while a shorter track may result in a more intense and fast-paced race.

2. What are the key elements to consider when designing a race track for 3 cars?

The key elements to consider when designing a race track for 3 cars include the track length, width, and layout. It is important to have a balance of straightaways and turns to provide a challenge for the drivers and create opportunities for passing. Additionally, the track surface, elevation changes, and safety features such as barriers and run-off areas should also be carefully considered.

3. How do you ensure fairness in a race track circuit for 3 cars?

Fairness in a race track circuit for 3 cars can be achieved by creating a balanced track that offers equal opportunities for all cars. This can be achieved by designing a track with a mix of different types of turns, varying degrees of difficulty, and enough space for all 3 cars to maneuver. Factors such as track conditions, weather, and starting positions should also be taken into consideration to ensure fairness.

4. What is the optimal number of turns for a race track circuit for 3 cars?

The optimal number of turns for a race track circuit for 3 cars can vary depending on the length and layout of the track. In general, a good rule of thumb is to have 1 turn for every 300-400 meters of track length. This translates to approximately 8-10 turns for a 3 kilometer race track. However, the number of turns can also be influenced by other factors such as the speed and skill of the drivers, and the desired level of challenge for the race.

5. How do you account for different car types when designing a race track circuit for 3 cars?

When designing a race track circuit for 3 cars, it is important to consider the different types of cars that will be racing. This includes factors such as the size, speed, and handling capabilities of each car. A well-designed track should offer equal opportunities for all cars, regardless of their type. This can be achieved by incorporating a mix of straightaways, turns, and other elements that cater to the strengths and weaknesses of each car type.