Designing a Plinko-Style Can Crusher Game

In summary, the group is trying to make a Plinko game out of a can after it has been ejected from a can crusher. They are using photo-resistors to detect light, and are also considering using a solenoid to fire a flipper or rod at the bottom of the game board to kick the can into a bin.
yamama1
Me and my group for our class are planning on making a can crusher for our project. What makes ours so unique is the ending, Plinko game. We are trying to make a Plinko game out of the can after its ejected from the crusher. My part of the project is the Plinko game. My group suggested that we light up the "pegs"/"posts" in the plinko to light up(LEDs) every time a can crosses the "posts" / "pegs."
Since the can is going to touch these posts, why not make the posts out of some conductive material. If the aluminum can hits it, it can send a signal to light up the LED. We later found out that the paint on the can makes the aluminum non conductive.
Could any of you guys help suggest alternatives to how we can make the LEDs light up every time a can crosses the posts? The plinko board 6 lines in height and to 5 different "scores" in width. If additional information is required, I can try providing you as much detail as possible.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could detect the light being blocked by the can crossing the gap between pins. One detector would be placed half way between the pins.

Is plinko the same as a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bean_machine ?

Likes 1 person
Make a mechanical switch based on a spring or metal structure around the post that makes the contact. Like in a pinball game. It might be hard to get that "plinko" action though.

We decided to use photo-resistors to detect light, kinda like what Baluncore suggested.
What do you guys think about the wood material that we could use? Since its not a big game board, any ideas for lightweight but sturdy and also cheap materials to build it on?

I was thinking it might also be cool to have a solenoid fire a flipper or rod at the bottom to kick it into a bin.

Take a look around local industry for used plywood from shipping packaging. That way you are also recycling the packaging. If you paint it then it will be weather proof and so material does not matter.

If you put the LDR just above each pin you can sound a musical note whenever a pin is hit. Those notes could be tuned to sound over one octave and people may recognise the random tunes being played.

Related to Designing a Plinko-Style Can Crusher Game

1. How does a Plinko-style can crusher game work?

A Plinko-style can crusher game works by dropping cans through a series of pegs and obstacles, causing them to bounce and fall into designated areas. The areas are typically labeled with different point values, and the goal is to get the can into the highest value area. The can is crushed by the weight and force of falling through the obstacles.

2. What materials are needed to build a Plinko-style can crusher game?

The materials needed to build a Plinko-style can crusher game include a sturdy board or platform, pegs or obstacles to create the desired path for the cans to fall through, a container to catch the cans, and a mechanism for crushing the cans such as a heavy object or a lever.

3. How can I make the game more challenging or interesting?

There are several ways to make a Plinko-style can crusher game more challenging and interesting. You can add more obstacles or pegs to the game, increase the distance between the pegs, or add different sizes or shapes of cans to make it more difficult to predict where they will fall. You can also add a timer to make the game more fast-paced and competitive.

4. Are there any safety concerns when designing a Plinko-style can crusher game?

Yes, there are some safety concerns to consider when designing a Plinko-style can crusher game. It is important to use sturdy and stable materials to prevent the game from tipping over. It is also important to ensure that the crushing mechanism is safe and does not pose any risk of injury. Additionally, proper supervision and caution should be taken when playing the game to avoid any accidents.

5. Can a Plinko-style can crusher game be used for educational purposes?

Yes, a Plinko-style can crusher game can be used for educational purposes. It can be used to teach concepts such as gravity, force, and probability. The game can also be modified to incorporate different topics, such as recycling or environmental conservation. It can be a fun and interactive way to engage students and reinforce their learning.