Designing a Patient Hoist Winch: Factors of Safety and Power Calculations

• Thread starter mikex24
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hoist
In summary, the author is trying to design and manufacture a patient moving hoist winch to move patients from wheelchairs to beds etc. The design have to has a safe working load of 180 kg and lifting speed 25mm/sec. He needs to use a factor of safety to make sure that the machine does not fail. He found that the output power without factor of safety is 45 watts, but with a factor of safety it will be 95% more efficient. He also needs to find a gearbox ratio for the machine. He found that the drum size, rope size, and input speed are all determined using a factor of safety. He then asks for help in determining where to put all the gearbox reductions for a huge gear
mikex24

Homework Statement

I am trying to design and manufacture a patient moving hoist winch to move patients from wheelchairs to beds etc. The design have to has a safe working load of 180 kg and lifting speed 25mm/sec. I have to use factor of safety so here is my question. How can i find a recommended factor of safety for this type of machine?

Homework Equations

I have the output Force which is 1.8KN, Output speed which is 25mm/sec therefore my output power which is 0.75kw.
The main idea of the problem is to design the winch for this machine. So i have to find all the data first to be able to find the input-power,torque,speed, drum size, rope size etc. I will design also a gearbox in this system, which my ratios will found from the input torque and input speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the output power which is 0.75Kw but this is without factor of safety. Also i know that my input power will be 95% more efficient that output power because of friction loses etc. Any help will be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What are the human and financial consequences of failure? I don't know where you find the official figure (perhaps in a british standard or similar) but I am asking you to name your own figure. Although the safety factor has to take account of material variations and cover assumptions made in the modelling, the social and economic consequences are arguably greater, especially if the product went into mass production.

It is for human. I will just design it for a module in university. What is a normal factor of safety to start with. I have to use factor of safety in my output force to start with. 1.8KN is without factor of safety and i have to change it to a force which will include the factor of safety general for this machine

If you are at university, the last thing you should be doing is to "plug a number into a formula". That is why I have asked you to think. What do you think would be a suitable factor of safety? And have you considered all the reasons for having such a factor?

I am trying to find the gearbox ratio of this. My calculations were changed so i will write them as i did them and i will ask my question. I am doing a winch for patient moving hoist and i want to determine my drum size, rope size, gear ratio and then to find a motor and with a gearbox who i will design i will achieve the gear ratio who i found.

Output Force: 1.8KN, Output Speed: 25mm/s-> Therefore output power is 45watts. Then my input force it will be ~95% more efficient so 50watts approx.

To find the rope size using 1.5 factor of safety: 180kg*9.81*1.5=2648Kn and from a table which has rope strengths i choose the 3mm rope

Drum size:

I can use the minimum 12*d as my drum diameter. d is the rope diameter
therefore 12*3=36mm drum diameter.

To find the turns using 2m rope length i did N=(2)/(π*0.036)= 17.68 turns to fold it. π=3.14

therefore 17.68*3=0.053m which is the length of my drum

and i want to find my input speed(rpm) to find my gear ratio. i try((0.025)/(π*0.036))*60=13

Here is the problem. According to motors the minimum rpm who i found to use a 50watts motor produces ~3000 rpm which means my gear ratio will be ~230:1. This gear ratio it will be ok if use bigger drum size. My drum diameter is just 3.6cm and the minimum motor shaft i found is 2.2cm. Where to put that all gearbox reductions for that huge ratio? So i think to change my drum size but as my drum size diameter increasing my gear ratio also increasing. What to do? Thank you very much. If anyone can help me to get out of this stuck i will appreciate it. I think that i have wrong on calculating my input power and my rpm. Any help?

Last edited:
Any help?

Related to Designing a Patient Hoist Winch: Factors of Safety and Power Calculations

1. What is a patient hoist winch?

A patient hoist winch is a mechanical device used to lift and transfer patients who have limited mobility. It consists of a motor, gearbox, and drum that rotates to wind up a cable or sling, lifting the patient from a bed, wheelchair, or other surface.

2. What factors of safety should be considered when designing a patient hoist winch?

When designing a patient hoist winch, it is important to consider factors of safety such as the weight and size of the patient, the maximum load capacity of the winch, the strength and durability of the materials used, and the safety features in place to prevent accidents or malfunctions.

3. How are power calculations performed for a patient hoist winch?

Power calculations for a patient hoist winch involve determining the maximum load capacity of the winch, the weight and size of the patient, and the required lifting speed. These factors are used to calculate the necessary torque and power output of the motor and gearbox to safely lift and transfer the patient.

4. What is the role of a safety factor in the design of a patient hoist winch?

A safety factor is a margin of error that is built into the design of a patient hoist winch to ensure that it can safely lift and transfer patients without exceeding its weight capacity or causing any accidents. It accounts for potential variations in weight, movement, and other external factors that may affect the performance of the winch.

5. How can I ensure that a patient hoist winch is safe and reliable?

To ensure the safety and reliability of a patient hoist winch, it is important to follow industry standards and regulations, conduct thorough testing and inspections, and perform regular maintenance and repairs. It is also crucial to train and educate users on proper operation and safety precautions to prevent accidents or injuries.