Designing a NOT-gate Circuit with LED Output

In summary, the conversation is discussing the design of a NOT-gate or LED driver using a TTL-gate and a discrete transistor. The question is whether a resistor is necessary when using a LED in place of grounding the lower branch. It is determined that a resistor is needed to properly limit the current for the LED, transistor, and driving electronics. The exact values will depend on the type of LED and required brightness.
Niles
Hi

I am trying to design something similar to a NOT-gate (very simple), and I have been following this figure: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/File:Electronics_TTLNOT.PNG. My question is the following: Say that I instead of grounding the lower branch want to send a current through it to e.g. a LED. Is it necessary for me to place a resistor before the LED?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you place a LED there, then you will not have a 'NOT' gate, because now, when A is high, A' won't be Low (0 V) but around 2.5V instead (depending upon LED forward voltage).
However, if you don't need the pure NOT function, then you can go ahead and place the LED, (no need for extra resistor), but make sure the top resistor is at least around 330ohm so as to properly limit the current.

I agree with "I am Learning". Depending on the values involved, the LED current in that circuit could be limited by either the base or the collector resistors. Niles, you probably should to tell us is this meant to function as a NOT gate or an LED driver or both?

It is supposed to function as an LED driver (or something similar), which can be turned on/off regularly by a computer that deliveres +5V for a few milliseconds periodically. But I guess this is equivalent to a NOT-gate, right?

Niles said:
It is supposed to function as an LED driver (or something similar), which can be turned on/off regularly by a computer that deliveres +5V for a few milliseconds periodically. But I guess this is equivalent to a NOT-gate, right?

Well yeah, if it's just a LED driver then there is no need for the logic output.

Do you want to make it yourself out of a discrete transistor or were you looking to make use of a TTL gate or open collector driver? There are lot of simple possibilities.

Regarding the "few milliseconds" bit. Do you want the LED to remain on between the millisecond pulses or just flash and then go off? Either way can be easily handled, but this is an important design aspect.

uart said:
Well yeah, if it's just a LED driver then there is no need for the logic output.

Do you want to make it yourself out of a discrete transistor or were you looking to make use of a TTL gate or open collector driver? There are lot of simple possibilities.

Regarding the "few milliseconds" bit. Do you want the LED to remain on between the millisecond pulses or just flash and then go off? Either way can be easily handled, but this is an important design aspect.

I'm going to use a discrete transistor. The TTL-gate will be controlling the base of the transistor (I may have misunderstood your question, I'm unfortunately not very experienced in these matters). The LED is turned on during the pulse, as the TTL gate delivers a square pulse. I basically just have to make the circuit, everything else is already made.

Niles said:
I'm going to use a discrete transistor. The TTL-gate will be controlling the base of the transistor (I may have misunderstood your question, I'm unfortunately not very experienced in these matters). The LED is turned on during the pulse, as the TTL gate delivers a square pulse. I basically just have to make the circuit, everything else is already made.

Well you could just use a circuit the same as that inverter if you like. Keep the emitter grounded and connect the LED in series with the collector resistor. You probably want a few k-ohms for the base resistor and a couple of hundred ohms for the collector resistor, though the exact value will depend on the type of LED you're using and the brightness required.

uart said:
Well you could just use a circuit the same as that inverter if you like. Keep the emitter grounded and connect the LED in series with the collector resistor. You probably want a few k-ohms for the base resistor and a couple of hundred ohms for the collector resistor, though the exact value will depend on the type of LED you're using and the brightness required.

Thanks for that reply. Is the reason to insert resistors before the base and collector simply to make it easy on the transistor in terms of reducing the current?

Niles said:
Thanks for that reply. Is the reason to insert resistors before the base and collector simply to make it easy on the transistor in terms of reducing the current?

Yes you need to limit the current for several reasons.

- For the sake of the LED.

- For the sake of the transistor.

- And possibly for the sake of whatever electronics is driving the transistor.

Related to Designing a NOT-gate Circuit with LED Output

1. How do I design a NOT-gate circuit with LED output?

To design a NOT-gate circuit with LED output, you will need to use a transistor, resistor, and LED. Connect the collector of the transistor to a power source, the base to the input signal, and the emitter to the resistor which is then connected to the LED and ground. This will create a NOT-gate that will light up the LED when the input signal is low and vice versa.

2. What is the purpose of a NOT-gate circuit with LED output?

A NOT-gate circuit with LED output is used to invert the input signal. This means that when the input signal is high, the LED will be off and when the input signal is low, the LED will be on. It is commonly used in digital logic circuits to convert a positive signal to a negative signal or vice versa.

3. Can I use any type of LED for my NOT-gate circuit?

Yes, you can use any type of LED for your NOT-gate circuit as long as it is compatible with the power supply and has the appropriate resistance. However, it is recommended to use a standard LED with a 330 ohm resistor for optimal performance.

4. How do I calculate the resistor value for my NOT-gate circuit with LED output?

The resistor value can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I), where R is the resistance, V is the voltage, and I is the current. In a NOT-gate circuit, the typical voltage drop across the LED is 1.7V and the collector-emitter voltage of the transistor is 0.2V. Therefore, the resistance can be calculated by dividing the remaining voltage by the desired current for the LED.

5. Can I use multiple LEDs in my NOT-gate circuit?

Yes, you can use multiple LEDs in your NOT-gate circuit by connecting them in parallel. However, this will increase the overall current and may require a larger resistor to prevent burnout. It is important to calculate the appropriate resistor value for the total current of all the LEDs combined.