Designing a Hydro Generator for my Farm

In summary, the individual was researching renewable energy and found that a small hydro generator could be set up on their property. They estimated that the generator could generate 100 kWh per month.
drewk79
Over the past few years I have like many of you become interested in renewable energy.

Over the past few months we have gotten a lot of rain.

We also have a small creek in our pasture and it begins with 2-12 inch field tiles. The end (beginning i guess) has been filling with silt over the past 20 years and has now reached the top of the retaining wall so we need to build a new one a few feet taller.

I am thinking why we are down there working it may be a perfect opportunity to set up a small hydro generator.

I can weld and build basically anything ( I am a home builder) and my brother is a commercial electrician so I think we have the know how. I am just looking for some engineering and design help/suggestions.

OK so while I was down there the other day the 2-12 inch tile were running at what seemed to be full capacity. Maybe 60% full I would think that would be about 1 gal per sec per tile. If anyone has any opinions on that I am guestimating.

It is probably running 20%-30% higher than avg right now. Water weighs about 8 lbs per gallon. So ... I think i can reasonably get to 10 lbs a second avg. And it falls about 1 ft initially out of the tile. We have nice concrete walls on 3 sides and a concrete floor for about 10 ft. I will be adding a illustration soon.

OK I have done some more research and found I have 2-12 inch tile and they can flow 2 cubic ft per sec each. I think avg is probably 1/4 of that. appx 60 lbs per cubic ft. So avg work done is 30lbs drops 1 ft per sec on avg.

30 x 60sec = 1800 lbs 1 ft per minute

550 ft lbs a min = 1 hp

So i have a little over 3 hp

750 watts per hp x 3 = 2250 watts

2250 x 24 hrs a day= 54kWh

Any comments on these assumptions would be great.

Thanks

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You're so close to having figured it out yourself (maybe you have, but you put ? in there...). Power is in foot-lb/min and you have information in units of feet, lb, and min. Put them together!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you only have a 1 foot drop to work with? anyway, potential energy is simply weight times height and power is flow rate times height. So if you have 60 lb/min dropping 1 foot, you have 60 ft-lb/min of energy at your disposal. That is about 1/10th hp, or 70 watts.

1 ft of drop seems awfully small, but if that's what it is, ok. Flow rate is pretty easy to find, though, if your water source is coherent: find yourself a 5 gal bucket, direct the water flow into it and measure how long it takes to fill it.

So 2 minutes of research made me redo my assumptions.

As far as the 1 ft of work that is about how far the tile are from the concrete floor. maybe 18 inches but its under water so its hard to see and remember from yesterday.

I did edit my first post so if you could reread it with the new assumptions and let me know what you think so far

Amateur hour again... I don't really know anything about the subject. I am wondering, however, if you could dig the receiving basin a couple of feet deeper to gain more gravitational assistance from the falling water.

Danger said:
Amateur hour again... I don't really know anything about the subject. I am wondering, however, if you could dig the receiving basin a couple of feet deeper to gain more gravitational assistance from the falling water.

Are you calling me an amateur? I know I am. But I am trying to learn and I find this site very helpful. Should I just keep my comments to myself or...

If you were talking about yourself being an amateur I enjoy all points of view.

I have found a micro hydro calculator and I according to it 100 kWh a month are possible in the wetter months. Also since I am at the beginning of the creek I have a perfect opportunity to harness this energy for a very low initial cost.

So far I am imagining a 6 ft radius water wheel a pulley and shaft up to dry land. At that point I could have a mounting plate for 3 generators (or one big one) They could be connected and disconnected very easily.

100 kWh is about the entire farm monthly use. So maybe just a 2-3 year return on investment.

Thank you I had not thought about wiki

I went to the creek again this morning. I was expecting some rain according to the radar but nothing and I am trying to decide how tall to make the new dam for overflow water.

The tiles though where in fact still flowing I would say 80% max. So I think it will be easy to take another piece of 12 in tile and build a small model in the garage and then simply side it into place once completed.

I will keep you updated.

drewk79 said:
If you were talking about yourself being an amateur

That is indeed the case; I hoped that you would understand that. :smile:

Danger said:
That is indeed the case; I hoped that you would understand that. :smile:

I feel pretty intelligent when I talk to friends and peers but I get a bit intimidated on when I put some ideas out there for others to see.

In reference to the generator I have found there is a small dam about 100 yards doinw the creek. I can lower the water by removing it. This will get me to about 3 ft of head.

Also I have found water wheels are not easily adapted to electric generation so I am looking at a kaplan style turbine.

1. How does a hydro generator work?

A hydro generator uses the force of flowing water to turn a turbine, which then spins a generator to produce electricity. This is known as hydroelectric power and is a renewable source of energy.

2. What factors should I consider when designing a hydro generator for my farm?

The location and size of your water source, the amount of water flow, and the elevation change are important factors to consider. You should also consider the electrical load you need to power and the type of turbine and generator that will be most efficient for your specific situation.

3. What are the benefits of using a hydro generator on my farm?

Using a hydro generator can provide your farm with a reliable and sustainable source of electricity. It can also reduce your reliance on grid power and lower your energy costs over time. Additionally, hydro generators have low maintenance requirements and can have a long lifespan.

4. How do I determine the size of the hydro generator I need?

The size of your hydro generator will depend on the amount of electricity you need to generate. You can calculate this by determining your electrical load and estimating the water flow and head (elevation change) of your water source. It is recommended to consult with a professional to ensure you choose the right size for your needs.

5. Are there any environmental considerations when designing a hydro generator for my farm?

Yes, it is important to consider the potential impacts on the local ecosystem and wildlife when designing a hydro generator. Ensure that proper permits and regulations are followed and that any necessary measures are taken to minimize any negative effects on the environment.